Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Internet electricity and heat  (Read 1257 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Internet electricity and heat
« on: August 03, 2018, 12:25:29 PM »

A recent article said that 'the internet' whatever that might mean is responsible for 9% of the world's electricity consumption, or something to that effect.

I don't know whether the author is referring to they mean routers, switches or is also including servers of various sorts as well. It makes you think perhaps they need to park some of that hardware in places where the heat output can actually be useful, serving as a heat source for people, so they can reduce their other heating requirements.

Of course, in the summer this kit is a nightmare because as we all know, it requires cooling then, the required air con eats even more electricity and there is no demand for the heat produced either. So the cure would be to park some kit in cold places, although it would then be in the wrong place, latency would be a problem as well as the cost of the links to the frozen north/south.

But if tech could serve as hearing for half the year then that is surely a win, and whatever that 9% means, saving something like 4% would be important.

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Internet electricity and heat
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 03:36:59 PM »

Weaver might this be of interest. It gives both source and uses, but only to 2015.
https://www.iea.org/publications/freepublications/publication/KeyWorld2017.pdf

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »

I would imagine it is the likes of Google who would consume huge amounts of electricity.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 12:11:33 PM »

although i would think that a lot of that is off-set by the massive solar-energy farms that they use.

anything