Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How do I bypass the poor wifi on Sky Q hub?  (Read 1145 times)

demag

• Just arrived
How do I bypass the poor wifi on Sky Q hub?
« on: August 02, 2018, 09:34:34 PM »

Sorry if this has been done to death a million times but I'm not sure of the procedure.

I read that I can turn the Sky Hub wifi off in the settings. Can I then use any modem/router to run my wifi? I want to keep the Hub as my download and upload speeds are ok, it's just the wifi is dire, loads of dropouts and poor range and also stupidly slow handshake times.
I have a number of old router/modems can I use one? I have adsl and vdsl available or do I need a specific one?
How do I connect it and do I have to alter any settings other than wifi in the hub?

Sorry for my dumbness.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: How do I bypass the poor wifi on Sky Q hub?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 02:23:43 AM »

You need something called a 'wireless access point'. There are lots of really good ones around. Basically you just plug it into your wired network and it copies everything from wireless to wireful and vice versa intelligently. (It's a ‘bridge’.). Ask around if you want recommendations for access points. I have several myself and a router that has no wireless at all in it. You can have several access points (WAPs) if needed, and park each wherever you want, for best coverage. That is one great thing about wireless access points - you can locate them in the best place for coverage, and no need then for the kit to be near where the dsl line enters the house.

I use ZyXEL access points which are pretty old but good.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: How do I bypass the poor wifi on Sky Q hub?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 06:12:37 AM »

You can also use a modem/router, but it needs to be able to be put into access point mode, this means turning off certain features such as the DHCP server.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D