Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AA 4G over Three network  (Read 2233 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
AA 4G over Three network
« on: August 02, 2018, 08:47:57 AM »

Andrews and Arnold tech support just told me that there is now such a thing as AA / AQL / Three 4G, not 3G but I may not have enough signal. I have an AA SIM in my iPad. Low signal could be causing my iPad to go to 3G instead of 4G perhaps?

Looking at the Three coverage map for 4G where I am, at the very highest point on the edge of the village of Heasta, it suggests I am not quite high enough to qualify as “indoor signal”, so maybe I have to test outdoors. But since I can probably actually see the base station across the valley a couple of miles away through the bedroom window, I would have thought it would work when right in the window itself?

It is a fairly recent iPad, an iPad Pro 12" v1 so I certainly assume that it speaks 4G.

Quick sanity check then: Has anyone got 4G to work using AA Three SIMs?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:51:11 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: AA 4G over Three network
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 03:51:14 AM »

Update: I got a very brief whiff of 4G. The 4G indicator in the top left hand corner came on for about a minute or so, and then "no service". I turned the mobile networking off in settings on the ipad, then back on and it then back to 3G. I am in the wrong place in the bedroom anyway, with a very thick stone wall to my left. The east facing bay window is in the right direction for the base station but it may be off to the left hand side a good bit too much.

KingJ

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • Miscellaneous Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 07:14:26 PM »

Three UK predominantly use Band 3 / 1800Mhz for their LTE coverage. In general, this isn't great at range or building penetration. However, they do also have a small amount of Band 20 / 800Mhz spectrum that they also use for LTE. Unfortunately, access to this is restricted to devices that can only use VoLTE (so as to prevent a situation where someone has LTE signal on their phone and can use data, but can't make calls because they have a non-VoLTE compatible handset). Now, for something that is on a data only service anyway you'd expect they wouldn't mind about that but alas not.

One thing that might be worth checking is if the mast you can see is the one you're actually connected to, or another operator's mast. Head over to cellmapper.net and select Three UK and 4G, if anyone's mapped coverage in that area you'll see the strength and estimated (red)/confirmed (green) mast locations. Clicking on a mast will show you the known cell coverage, as well as what bands/frequencies are used on that cell. If no one has mapped it yet, install Cellmapper on any Android device (preferably Android 7 or higher), optionally register for an account, and go for a walk around the area! Cell information is normally updated within 24 hours, and map tiles within a few days.

I did try to look up coverage at Heasta but I couldn't find an exact match, i'm assuming it's what Google lists as Heast on the Isle of Skye? Unfortunately it looks like no one has yet mapped any of the 4 main networks around there on Cellmapper :( 

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 02:48:14 AM »

The spelling varies, the incorrect spelling "Heaste" (created by confusion with the English word ‘haste’, with which it rhymes exactly), then there is the more correct one "Heast" without the bogus final e and finally in first place we have the correct Gàidhlig "Heasta", which thank goodness is what it now says on the village sign. The maps randomly are distributed between the three, so you might have to try all the forms good and bad. The word is not Gàidhlig but old Norse, as are so many of the local place names, Norse having been spoken very widely before it died out in favour of Gàidhlig. I suspect strongly that it means "high stead(ing)" as the old village is very high up, half way up a mountain side. The words I chose there for the translation are those same words in English that are the equivalents in the original, in English's North Germanic cousin, Norse. A friend of my wife’s is a native Icelandic speaker so I could get him to advise me. Could do a swap because he loves Skye placenames but the Gaels have mangled the Old Norse when converting them into the complex Gàidhlig spelling system which is like an encoding, so Magnus cannot make the names out when he sees them written since unlike me he does not read Gàidhlig.

I looked up the base station to the east on the other side of the valley using a very comprehensive base station map web site, mastdata.com and see the relevant basestation which is looked up by using the post code IV49 9BN. That post code is not very useful as it plonks you on number 6 in the village way down the hill to the south of us, whereas I am on the northernmost edge of the village, the very first house and highest up the bank rising from the atlantic which is to the south of us. Many maps have my wife’s business marked, which is Skye Shepherd Huts, so that may help you pinpoint it. Otherwise where the northernmost stream crosses under the road on that rise you may well see faintly a short driveway coming of to the left, and that is me. As you go further north out of the village you continue to climb and the coverage supposedly gets better, approaching "indoor" rating. There was a thread some years ago with pictures because I was asking questions about the physical phone line and wanted people to be able to see what we were talking about, so thank you google street view. Perhaps someone could find that old thread.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:28:45 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 04:14:52 PM »

There was a thread some years ago with pictures because I was asking questions about the physical phone line and wanted people to be able to see what we were talking about, so thank you google street view. Perhaps someone could find that old thread.

The kuro neko accepted the challenge. The thread in question is titled Ultra-long line beyond 63.5 dB attn and just runs to eight pages. It was most interesting to re-read the contributions from other members.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 10:29:33 PM »

This is the basestation across the valley, to the east of me: https://www.mastdata.com/0/address/address.aspx?AdID=200688

anything