Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cityfibre Attack Coppersaurus of Misleading Fibre Broadband Ads  (Read 1356 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/07/cityfibre-attack-coppersaurus-of-misleading-fibre-broadband-ads.html

Fibre optic network builder Cityfibre has today launched the Coppersaurus campaign, which aims to draw attention to the UK’s “prehistoric broadband” and support their court case to end “misleading” uses of “fibre” terminology in ISP adverts (i.e. when it’s used to describe slower hybrid copper and fibre connections).

As part of all this Cityfibre recently commissioned another Censuswide survey of almost 3,500 UK residents, which found that 78% of UK consumers feel “slowed down and frustrated” by their internet connection (rising to 82% among homeworkers, 87% for young people and falling to 71% for those aged 55+). Meanwhile 56% said their current connection also prevents them from working from home as much as they would like.

Meanwhile two thirds of respondents said they thought broadband advertising rules should be changed, albeit only once they understood the difference between copper-based (e.g. FTTC / VDSL2) and true Gigabit capable “full fibre” broadband services like Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP).

Greg Mesch, CEO of CityFibre, said:

“For too long the UK has been held back by a deliberate lack of investment by BT Openreach in fibre infrastructure. Although companies like CityFibre are building the networks that will give millions of homes and businesses access to full fibre broadband, providers continuing to advertise copper-based connections as “fibre” is leaving people completely confused about what is on offer.

With the way we work increasingly blending our home and work lives, it has never been more important for people to understand what broadband connection they really get at home. Years of misleading advertising have made this near impossible, which is why the rules must be changed now – this cannot be allowed to continue indefinitely. It is time everyone knows the reality of what’s under our streets.”
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Cityfibre Attack Coppersaurus of Misleading Fibre Broadband Ads
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 10:15:22 AM »

I noticed they set up a website and twitter for the Coppersaurus.

https://www.coppersaurus.com

https://twitter.com/mecoppersaurus
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 10:25:19 AM »

Bit naughty putting the sound of a dial-up modem syncing on the end of the video!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 11:55:30 AM »

WTH is that Eminem video doing at the end of the article?   ???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 05:20:49 PM »

Can't Cityfibre do anything without kicking up a huge fuss about it first?

Why can't their own adverts simply inform everyone how much better their full fibre is?

Help us put the Coppersaurus back where he belongs – under the ground and away from our connections
That doesn't even make any sense if your cables are under the ground.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 06:02:10 PM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/07/cityfibre-attack-coppersaurus-of-misleading-fibre-broadband-ads.html

From that link...

As part of all this Cityfibre recently commissioned another Censuswide survey of almost 3,500 UK residents, which found that 78% of UK consumers feel “slowed down and frustrated” by their internet connection (rising to 82% among homeworkers, 87% for young people and falling to 71% for those aged 55+). Meanwhile 56% said their current connection also prevents them from working from home as much as they would like.

Really???  78% feel slowed down and frustrated?    I must be living in a bubble as my village is quite poorly provisioned and actually, the majority just don’t care.   Many have not even adopted FTTC, finding their 2-4Mbps adsl is plenty for the occasional email, which is all they want.

As for 56% saying their connection prevents them working from home as much as they’d like, surely that is even more ridiculous?  I’d estimate that Nowhere near 56% of people even have the option of working from home either because their jobs demand a presence,  or they are unemployed, retired etc.

I am forming an opinion that Cityfibre  is a rather dodgy organisation.  If their advertising and press releases are as fake as I think might be, I hope the ASA brings them to justice.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »

How many people would not have signed up for FTTC, if they had not been mislead into thinking it was fibre all the way into the home? They might be entitled to compensation!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 06:33:42 PM »

I am forming an opinion that Cityfibre  is a rather dodgy organisation.  If their advertising and press releases are as fake as I think might be, I hope the ASA brings them to justice.

I shall join you.  :)

Does having someone talking to the camera (with an American accent) make the company reliable and trustworthy? I think not.  :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 06:44:24 PM »

I see that Cityfibre were bought out earlier this year, to be owned by a consortium headed by American investment bankers.   Full credit to their founders who may well have started out with the very best of intentions, and if they have earned an eye watering personal fortune out of the takeover then  good luck to them, they probably deserve it.  But  hardly fills me with optimism wrt company’s future credentials.   Anybody remember Demon, as example?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cityfibre-infra-m-a-antin/cityfibre-agrees-750-million-takeover-by-goldman-sachs-consortium-idUSKBN1HV0H3