Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What a tragi-comedy!  (Read 737 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
What a tragi-comedy!
« on: February 26, 2021, 01:06:19 PM »

I'm not sure where to post this, so mods please move if you wish.

A month ago Openreach were working on a property further up the road from my daughter's family property, when the phone went down and FTTC connection ( by Plusnet ) dropped from near 80 to below 30, the upper coping with heavy use of parents for their work, and son remote schooling, lower only for the son.

Openreach informed them and others, who were affected, repair had been completed. Not so. With effort, she gets  Openreach to come out and they find no or very little signal at the pole in their front garden. Another would have to
deal with that, so another wait. nearing a fortnight and phone is restored, that fault caused by an engineer getting one's wire on top of another's.

Phone side done :yay: yet internet was performing at only 50 and now dropped to 29. Doubtlessly that will be have to be seen to by the ISP.

To be continued, but comments, please on this tale.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: What a tragi-comedy!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 10:08:36 PM »

A situation where the telephony service is non-operational and the Internet access is severely degraded is usually the result of a "one leg dis" (to use the Openreach shorthand). In simple terms, one of the wires of the pair has become either disconnected or extremely high resistance.

Assuming that was the case, once a working pair was re-established the telephony service would then be usable. However the disruption on the pair may have been enough to aggravate the DLM process. The DLM might have attempted to stabilise the Internet service by increasing the target SNRM which, in turn, would be manifest by a reduced throughput speed.

If all of the above has taken place, I would expect that a DLM reset should resolve the problem.   
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 10:47:58 AM »

nearing a fortnight and phone is restored, that fault caused by an engineer getting one's wire on top of another's.

Phone side done :yay: yet internet was performing at only 50 and now dropped to 29. Doubtlessly that will be have to be seen to by the ISP.

I've mentioned this same scenario recently, on another thread somewhere ??

As B*Cat moots - this will definitely be DLM causing the speed decrease, especially as you say it was weeks before the issue was resolved. The situation I'm guessing was that the CP will have raised a PSTN (phone) fault for Openreach, and the attending engineer may not have the broadband skill or awareness of DLM action - only being tasked to sort the PSTN issue out.

Now lets go down the rabbit-hole debating the rights and wrongs of this, it's been done to death a million times before. But, tis a simple fix by a simple enquiry to your ISP to request a DLM reset backed up with a condensed version of your PSTN issue.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 11:09:00 AM »

My line went down for the same reason last year, had OR man out to fix PSTN part (put new line to re-sited master socket taking out 10m line.
All working ok but BB still low, made another call to ISP, OR man comes out (Not same person) tried a few pairs, found that all were pants and put me on the best pair/and cab port left, still down 15M from previous speeds.
So he called up first engineer whom he knew and had a chat, First OR man wasn't happy as it made his work look bad >:(
I was always under the impression that PSTN/BB repairs are separate jobs? and I would have to log them as a new fault with the ISP? :(
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 12:16:16 PM »

Not being au-fait with the way jobs are built by the various different providers, I'm not certain what decision making abilities the call-handler can has, upon receipt of a call ??

If they are seasoned in the game and had an idea of the impact a PSTN fault can have on the broadband DLM, dependant on the remote test result they get back, they may well request a multi-skilled engineer visit ?? Or conversley, the systems may well take them down the Q&A check-list and auto-book the skill level of engineer required ??

Like I say, its been done to death and the latest info that came out of this was that ISP's can request a remote DLM reset if there's a good reason for it, such as Ren's, above. Previously, this could only be done via a filed engineer and only if he'd found a service affecting fault.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 01:37:43 PM »

Thanks all for the explanations. The phone side of my OP mentioned the explanation "fault caused by an engineer getting one's wire on top of another's". Last evening I was told one of the engineers had reset the router.
Anyways, the ISP has been consulted and is d/w case. Unexpectedly he noticed the router was very old (What I had in mind, because they adopted FTTC early on) and is sending a new one.

anything