Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iOS hardware ethernet  (Read 6355 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
iOS hardware ethernet
« on: July 30, 2018, 11:46:54 PM »

I see that someone called Redpark makes a hardware device that plugs into your lightning port and gives you either 100Mb or 1Gb ethernet interfaces, two models. Does anyone know anything about it?

The website says it is good for 220Mbps max, which is not very impressive. It is roughly about like the USB-to-ethernet chipset used with the Raspberry Pi plus a gig ethernet i/f, perhaps. It would be actually faster then to just use a wireless to wired ethernet converter device called a wireless access point, one that is faster than 300Mbps.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: iOS hardware ethernet
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 12:40:55 AM »

First thought was, it might be useful at times when no WiFi is available, or allowed, such as in sensitive environments like aircraft or hospital areas.

Then I thought, hang on, iOS is a highly secure OS, how could anybody but Apple provide an alternative comms stack?

Answers, from...

http://redpark.com/lightning-ethernet-cable/

Q: Why don’t all apps work with the Ethernet Cable?
A: Apple does not currently publish a way for accessories to access iOS’ native network stack via the Lightning connector. Therefore we needed to develop a 2nd network stack that is used by the cable. Only apps which use our RedSocket SDK are able to communicate with the 2nd network stack. So only apps which use this SDK are able to communicate with the cable.

So, it’s not really ethernet for iOS, it is ethernet for their own API.  The API is supported on iOS, but only useable by their own Apps (or Apps produced by their partners).

Also of interest...

Q: Why is the maximum bandwidth limited to 5 Mbps?
A: In order to comply with Apple Made for iPhone (MFI) power budget specifications, as we engineered the Ethernet Cable we made numerous design decisions that reduce power consumption. These power savings have a cost in terms of performance

:-X

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 12:49:42 AM »

PS, there may be a later version, that addresses comments in last post...

http://redpark.com/lightning-ethernet-cable-l5-net/

I will give it more thought, but I remain somewhat suspicious.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: iOS hardware etherne
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 03:19:05 AM »

Where did I get the 220 Mbps from? Thank you so much for digging that out.  ;D So basically Apple refused to allow this so they have come out with a total dog’s breakfast of their own that does not work with the o/s. Madness; you just need an access point - a compact wireless to wired bridge and problem solved and it would be a stunning performer.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 05:03:53 AM »

Not so sure; check the second link I posted, that one does sound to be properly intrgrated with iOS.

And this is the gigabit one (limited to 225Mbps), also apparently properly integrated.

http://redpark.com/lightning-gigabit-ethernet-power-l6-netac/

I remain surprised that Apple allow such a device to work. :-\

Chris T

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 09:57:41 AM »

The iOS device can use a standard USB to Ethernet adapter via the Lightning to USB “camera kit”, the newer Lightning to USB 3 version is needed as the iOS device cannot power the adapter from its Lightening port requiring an external power source.

anything