Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Upstream makes latency go off the scale  (Read 5026 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Upstream makes latency go off the scale
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 06:23:27 PM »

I own a FB105 , a £9-99 eBay bargain, but only use it for "special tasks" i.e. MITM purposes. (Or perhaps that should be CITM, where the C is cat . . .)

I believe it does have QoS settings . . . if one can understand the documentation.

Can it do QoS for multiple bonded lines?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 06:52:47 PM »

you want something with CoDel.
i believe dd-wrt and pfsense can do that.

alternate solution is just stick a box inbetween the router and end-user that caps the bull bonded rate upstream.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 07:09:14 PM »

The FB has shapers but they aren't really the same thing as proper QoS. Proper QoS can also be CPU intensive however. The way the FB does it, as far I'm aware, is like AAISP's website describes:
"We have options allowing users to set their line at a lower rate, e.g. 95% of BRAS. This is useful for things like VoIP as our shaper is smarter than BTs and allows small packets through more readily than large packets. Customers have tested VoIP on a 95% rate whilst running torrents and downloads and found it works well."

So while you can adjust the rate limit of the downstream from their control panel, you must rate limit the upstream from your side with an appropriate router such as the FB.

The closest thing the FB has, that I'm aware of, is when you have bonded lines you specify the upstream bandwidth of each line. I've set mine about a megabit lower than the actual average upstream sync rate (e.g. 11 megabits instead of 12 megabits). I don't have such issues with my two connections, on dslreports speed test with down and up having six streams I get a bufferbloat grade of A and a quality of A+.

However, for a much slower DSL connection then things could be a lot different and you might find you'll need a router between the FireBrick and your LAN devices which does fq_codel. A cheap EdgeRouter might be an option to consider, I used fq_codel on that (Smart Queue as they call it) when I was using my EdgeRouter.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 07:14:01 PM by Ixel »

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 07:28:33 PM »

What exactly is your setup, including model numbers?

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 07:34:59 PM »

However, for a much slower DSL connection then things could be a lot different and you might find you'll need a router between the FireBrick and your LAN devices which does fq_codel. A cheap EdgeRouter might be an option to consider, I used fq_codel on that (Smart Queue as they call it) when I was using my EdgeRouter.

the only snag with the edgerouter implementation is that you have to sacrifice a little of your overall bandwidth to compensate for it.
on a slow connection that might be a big hit on the attainable downstream.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 08:30:57 PM »

you want something with CoDel.
i believe dd-wrt and pfsense can do that.

alternate solution is just stick a box inbetween the router and end-user that caps the bull bonded rate upstream.

Come on now, you mention fq_codel then dd-wrt and pfsense? The people who wrote it literally used openwrt as their test bed and to date the most complete implementation is there. The freebsd pfsense guys have kicked and screamed about adding it.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2018, 09:07:30 PM »

and your point is?

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »

Just wanted to point out that the list of firmwares that support fq_codel and SQM should start with OpenWRT.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:23:01 PM by johnson »

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 09:32:11 PM »

Just wanted to point out that the list of firmwares that support fq_codel and SQM should start with OpenWRT.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2018, 09:40:31 PM »

Hilarious!  :D
Pages: 1 [2]