Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: pppoe v ip when using fttp (own router)  (Read 1365 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
pppoe v ip when using fttp (own router)
« on: October 29, 2022, 10:27:18 AM »

Just wondered if anyone has done a test with fttp connections when using opnsense/pfsense comparing speed tests or throughput between pppoe and ip. It said you lose some overheads with pppoe...
I'm interested to know if anyone has some experience of this.

I'm being offered you fibre's symmetrical service and interested to know if there would be any noticeable difference coming off pppoe and over to ip. My router is an i7 qotom with Intel nics. Looking at yf 1gb/1gb

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 10:33:23 AM by skyeci »

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
Re: pppoe v ip when using fttp (own router)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 01:27:38 PM »

You'll gain 30 Mbit/s or so. Presumably your current routing setup is handling PPP okay so no noticeable impact from that point of view.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 01:53:20 PM »

Not necessarily that much.

Doing an iperf3 to my 10Gbit NAS across my LAN from a client with only Gigabit I get a peak of 938Mbit whereas doing it to my VPS over Zen I can do 916Mbit.

There can be some variability also in how close to the max you get on a given Gigabit NIC.  Not sure its still the case but I remember it was common to gain 20Mbit or so just moving from a Realtek NIC to an Intel.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 01:57:08 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

machare

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 11:34:35 PM »

Why would you want PPPoE if you don't have to have it?  I have to use DHCP with my Gigaclear connection. They used to remember the mac address of the connected device but I think that recently they stopped doing this.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 01:37:34 AM »

Why would you want PPPoE if you don't have to have it?  I have to use DHCP with my Gigaclear connection. They used to remember the mac address of the connected device but I think that recently they stopped doing this.

Its not so much that, but the unknown of alt-net reliability, backhaul and network management in general.  All things created equal, obviously plain IP is better and symmetrical is better than asymmetrical.  But there can be other factors given BTW is a proven network.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything