Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Build FTTC Installation Delays  (Read 1740 times)

art37

New Build FTTC Installation Delays
« on: July 26, 2018, 01:39:41 PM »

Are ISPs frightened of Openreach? We are moving into a new build on a small development of 15 houses tomorrow. I placed an order for a copper pair and FTTC connection over a month ago, and it is stuck in the Openreach system. Update dates are given which seem to move 2 days to the right each day or so. My Developer has confirmed that all the ducts and wiring have been checked and he has Openreach sign off; yet, Openreach talks about surveys and cabling but offers no date for an installation which I understand breaches Ofcom regulations.

I am making as much fuss as I can but I am getting standard responses from Openreach on their new builds access point stating that if I have any concerns then I should seek to my Communications Provider. What provider: if there is no routing then there is no provision.

What I do not understand is why ISPs collectively are not making more of a fuss?  Sorry for the rant.

PS Don’t mention mobile broadband: we are fast becoming a third-World country.

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: New Build FTTC Installation Delays
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 02:25:25 PM »

I don't know which ISP you're with but there's only one ISP I'm aware of which will usually fight Openreach for their customer if the situation requires it, that's AAISP.

It sounds like a pretty terrible situation that you're in though, hopefully it will be resolved before next year :-\.

art37

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 03:01:35 PM »

I don't know which ISP you're with but there's only one ISP I'm aware of which will usually fight Openreach for their customer if the situation requires it, that's AAISP.

It sounds like a pretty terrible situation that you're in though, hopefully it will be resolved before next year :-\.

AAISP are on the case. I dropped my old ISP as they became little more than an Openreach puppet. They gave no indication that they were prepared to take Openreach on in any way. I won’t mention them by name as we parted as friends.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 05:20:22 PM »

That's good to hear, hopefully they'll get things rolling for you. They are efficient and persistent, or at least they have been in my experience with them. Good to also hear you ended with your old ISP on friendly terms.

Last year I left Zen after they were a bit 'relaxed' with a problem I was having on my FTTC/VDSL2 connection. They sent out a voice/line engineer (not an SFI engineer), but fortunately the RWT charge was dropped as they didn't agree with Openreach to a charge on that particular appointment. I ordered a second line via AAISP with a similar issue and they were on to Openreach (via TalkTalk Business) immediately to get this looked into and eventually resolved. Four SFI engineers later, three of which were escalated, and things had greatly improved. Even a neighbor told me their connection improved as well after the work the SFI engineers had been doing for my connection :D. After the positive experience with AAISP I wouldn't consider touching another ISP for FTTC/VDSL2 again unless something happened in a pretty negative way to AAISP's service.

Credit to Zen though, they did eventually allow me to leave my contract early and refunded me.

art37

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 09:23:11 AM »

We moved in 3 weeks ago, and we finally have a fully up and running 80/20 FTTC connection. In fairness to OR, the guy that came out had to cope with a damaged duct, and an access compartment that was full of water. The latter was not helped by the fact that quote an inexperienced engineer had fitted some seals incorrectly unquote. AAISP kept the pressure on so I am grateful to them.

My only problem now is the flimsy quick fit Master Box: the front will not click on so it is held on with bodge tape. The OR engineer left me with a second box as he could see that there was an issue. The replacement box is just as useless. Is there another box that I could buy: I only need a copper pair for VDSL use?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 11:56:49 AM »

I don't use a landline at all so I use an NTE5A with an AAISP broadband only unfiltered faceplate.
Instead of a BT style socket it only has an RJ45 port.

https://aa.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html

£6 from the above link.

Always my recommendation for anyone who has no intention making landline calls.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 02:21:05 PM »

My only problem now is the flimsy quick fit Master Box: the front will not click on so it is held on with bodge tape. The OR engineer left me with a second box as he could see that there was an issue. The replacement box is just as useless. Is there another box that I could buy: I only need a copper pair for VDSL use?

Yeah the 5C with the MK4 face plate is pretty rubbish. What j0hn recommended is great if you don't want to use the landline. If you still want to make voice calls, look for an older type master socket on eBay and swap it out. You will need an IDC punch down tool though, so bear that in mind.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

art37

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 04:21:19 PM »

Thanks - I will take a look.

anything