Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iPhone - wifi calling UI?  (Read 6873 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
iPhone - wifi calling UI?
« on: July 25, 2018, 08:53:16 PM »

Can any iPhone user tell me what they see on the display regarding the “Wifi-calling” feature ? I am wondering if the fact that I cannot see anything obvious on the display means that it is not doing the right thing?

andyfitter

• Reg Member
Re: iPhone - wifi calling UI?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 09:56:06 PM »

Top left corner of screen. Your network name gets changed to “WiFi calling voda” or similar.

Iain

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 10:04:48 PM »

Or "EE WiFiCall" in my case.

It depends on who your carrier is, and does not work with many of the MNVO's.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 10:15:46 PM »

And that shows up all the time, or only while a call is in progress that is using it?

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 10:34:35 PM »

It shows when it has decided your 3G/4G signal isnt good enough and has dropped back to WiFi. It ‘intelligently’ switches.

If it decides your normal signal is good enough it doesn’t go to WiFi at all.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 12:02:30 AM »

Ah, to see the indicator I need to be _out of 3G_? Is that correct? That is, it does not just show that the capability potentially exists?

If so, then I may have been worrying over nothing because I would have to test in an area guaranteed to be devoid of 3G. I have looked at Janet’s iPhone in my bedroom where there definitely is some 3G or possibly even 4G signal and strong wireless LAN.

I just assumed that it would show that the feature was turned on, no reason for making such an assumption.

Iain

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 12:09:12 AM »

Which network? Which phone?

With mine, it does not matter how strong my mobile signal is, WiFiCalling  takes priority, I guess to save my mobile minutes. That said, I have unlimited minutes, so rarely switch the feature on.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 12:10:33 AM »

Network is EE and iphone is a 5 SE.

I am asking about the indicator on the display as a separate issue apart from the actual behaviour regarding calls - so that I can attempt to work out whether or not the feature is even available at all by looking at the presence or absence of the UI indicator, if that is even possible.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:14:52 AM by Weaver »

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 12:26:11 AM »

Is it turned on in the iPhone settings, phone section?

Networks can enable disable it for specific phones and even specific firmware versions. The parameters are also configurable by the network - whether to favour WiFi or conventional signal.

With iPhones, the only thing for certain is if it lets you turn it on in settings, or if you can even see the option to turn it on, the network allows it. If turned on, it will use WiFi if/when it decides to. A sure test would be to go somewhere with no standard signal but good WiFi. Maybe hide in a cupboard near your router....

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 02:39:28 AM »

Looks good in settings.

But is it just all a red herring - have I misunderstood the UI completely, thinking the indicator would be on all the time in order to show that the feature is available rather than being in use?

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 07:46:50 AM »

Looks good in settings.

But is it just all a red herring - have I misunderstood the UI completely, thinking the indicator would be on all the time in order to show that the feature is available rather than being in use?

i believe it used to indicate all the time (it certainly did for EE WIFI Call a year or so ago in iOS), but that may have changed now that it only shows when it is applicable.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 04:25:34 PM »

Shows all the time on my iPhone 7, I’m with 3.

Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 02:18:56 AM »

Thanks to Vic - so that  means that I definitely do have a problem then as I am not showing anything.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 07:01:52 AM »

Have you checked this page? The iPhone 5 SE doesn't appear to be in the list of supported phones.  :(
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 07:07:30 AM »

It just says “SE” in that list, indeed. You set me thinking. I thought her phone was called a “5 SE” but it seems according to Wikipedia’s list of iPhone models that plain “SE” is correct, not “5 SE”, so I was using the wrong term all the time.

I talked to EE and they did not tell me ‘no’ regarding compatibility. They gave me some tests to try out and I said I would get back to them afterwards.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:19:58 AM by Weaver »