Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Inside the local exchange  (Read 9529 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Inside the local exchange
« on: May 29, 2008, 11:15:12 PM »

Some of you may be interested in a new page...  Photos are taken from a couple of different exchanges.

Inside the local telephone exchange

Sorry if some of them are a lil bit dark but Flash photography wasn't allowed...   
and no comment on the "ghost hand" which I think is a reflection on a glass panel, but I still wanted to include it since its the latest Fujitsu line cards.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Inside the local exchange
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 07:13:20 AM »

Really interesting. Thanks for that.
  Eric

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:50:34 AM »

Ah that's why everything looks slightly blurred in that piccie. It almost looks like somebody flicking a switch.

Marconi. Amazing how fast that name has turned into a blast from the past :(

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 11:32:44 AM »

very interesting.

how did you arrange such a visit and under what pretense?

i thought it would be nigh impossible to do something like that without handing over a big wedge of cash?

Paul

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 11:56:32 AM »

Yes, thanks Kitz that's very, very interesting. It's a wonder that all this stuff actually works most of the time. It strikes me that there's so much that could go wrong.

TTFN

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 01:15:17 PM »

>> how did you arrange such a visit and under what pretense?

I asked and it got approval right from the very top.  - Bens aware of the site, and my history with adsl.
It actually took many months to arrange from start to finish as various people were involved, (since late last year and I amost thought it had been forgotten about at one point)
There was an unavoidable delay due to work being done for 21CN in one of the larger exchanges I visited.... Then it was a case of arranging a date when staff from both BT Openreach and BT Wholesale were available.

The actual visits surpassed my expectations and it started off quite structured, but then turned out quite relaxed when I think some of the staff realised I wasn't just a n00b and already understood quite a lot about adsl as a whole... and the conversations were 2-way and very free-flowing.  Also remember BT is chinese walled and each BT staff only knows or is an expert in their section so its rare in a way to get an occasion "when it all comes together" and be able to ask a question to both BT Wholesale and BT Openreach staff at the same time.  At which point I must stress no rules were broken nor has anything been revealed which shouldn't have been. 

Theres also a lot more info I learned mostly for my own curiosity such as during a "2 hour slot" with an adsl field engineer..  it would be pretty hard to do a write up about that - despite I found it very interesting to see  the process of what would happen if there was a fault on my line and tracing my own line through the exchange etc.
Its also interesting to see the rules and processes in place so that for eg BT Retail dont have an unfair advantage over any other supplier.
Then theres also info on that page that hasnt just come from the visits..  for example finding out more info about the Fujitsu kit which took further research from other sources.

One thing did become apparent from the visits and thats the guys I spoke to were great and all of them were a credit to BT.  :thumbs:

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 02:00:13 PM »

Nice.

Thanks for all the effort you have put in.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 11:01:38 AM »

kewl !!  well done  ;D
Paul

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 11:10:34 AM »

It looks quite impressive, even if I still don't know my bRAS from my DSLAM.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »

I didn't know Westell was one of the early DSLAM suppliers - I thought pretty much all the first-gen kit was Alcatel?

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »

I worry about getting my lawn mower lead in a taffle, its sat in a heap looking at me now, I'd be no good inside one of those.
Just as a matter of interest do the engineers have to take a colour blind test, because I assume most are men. My grandfather couldn't distinguish red from brown and I believe some men have trouble with red and green.
Just re-read this and it sounds a bit sexist, but men are known to have a higher percentage of colour blindness.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 06:29:26 PM »

Bit late from me, but excellent summary kitz :) For those who don't know, I was fortunate enough to be there too, what a great experience! And what an excellent bunch of employees too - couldn't have asked for more.
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 07:32:15 PM »

>> didn't know Westell was one of the early DSLAM suppliers

Yeah its strange isnt it that we never hear much about Westell DSLAMs when compared to the likes of Alcatel/Fujitsu/Marconi etc, yet just about every picture that I have ever seen of a BT exchange will show a Westell dslam (or "MUX" as the engineers seemed to call them back then)...  and thats from across various sources including several from the BBC. 
Same on any reports on the TV (news)type progs Ive spied a Westell dslam - even the "Money" report with Saffy  in not that long ago showed Westell dslams, when they filmed inside an exchange. 

That particular exchange where the photo was taken was one of the early exchanges to go live (2001 iirc)
.... and according to this

Westell was a prominent DSLAM manufacturer. The company moved out of this business in the wake of the stock market downturn of 2002,

which probably explains why we dont hear too much about them these days.

My own exchange (live 2003) is mostly Fujitsu and Marconi.

-----

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 09:02:36 AM »

Excellent, thanks for that.

But you forgot to take a photo of the inside of the 'operators cabinet' ;)

http://www.thomaspurves.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/telegraph22.JPG

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 02:07:26 PM »

>> But you forgot to take a photo of the inside of the 'operators cabinet'

:lol:
-----

anything