Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What is the maximum you would pay to be connected to FTTP if a small charge were to be applied?

£0-£100
- 10 (41.7%)
£100-£500
- 3 (12.5%)
£500-£1000
- 7 (29.2%)
£1000-£2000
- 2 (8.3%)
£2000+
- 2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Would you pay for a short fibre run if required?  (Read 3555 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Would you pay for a short fibre run if required?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 07:10:43 PM »

Presumably you'd also need to know how much people would be willing to pay per month after they've had their hypothetical FTTP installed.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 08:13:00 PM »

It looks like so far I'm the only one who chose the £2000+ option  ;D

I chose that option because of 3 things.

1. I paid more than £2000 for this current computer I'm using and I only expect to use it for 5 years. So paying £2000 for something that lasts longer than 5 years is good value for money.

2. This is my family home. It's been in the family for 3 generations and will be mine eventually so I'm gonna live and die in this place, so anything involving fibre will be a good investment.

3. I think like Weaver (and maybe others) I'm mostly housebound these days. So being able to buy a service that is more stable, reliable and faster (in that order) gives better peace of mind. When the Internet goes down I realise just how much I rely on it for contact with the outside world.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 08:32:45 PM »

I'd pay in a hypothetical situation in which I needed it for something important, but I don't. I hardly have anything useful to do with a slow ADSL connection and really should stop wasting so much time on the Internet.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 10:45:19 PM »

I wasn't really considering price points for the end product, Just an initial outlay to get it.
My brother has FTTP and has only opted for BT's 52/10 service as it was a happy medium on price and speed for him.

To be fair, I most probably wouldn't have a need for a full 330/30 package either. I would hazard a guess that not many people would use it to a full potential anyway and use it for 'pub figures' on how fast there internet is.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2018, 02:38:14 AM »

Following on from what Bowden said, I myself would definitely be happy to pay more than £2k but I don't think my wife would agree, so I responded to the question as 1st person plural. If my wife could get some revenue out of it from her B&B guests by reselling chargeable internet access as some hotels do, then that would be very attractive, yet setting it up would be an absolute pain regarding the billing.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018, 08:54:56 AM »

I think I might start some new threads with additional questions.
I personally would pay money towards getting it installed as I believe we will all probably be more and more dependent on a decent connection. I'm lucky enough to have a good connection just now and most probably dont use it to its full potential. Its mainly for future proofing I would do it for as I hope I'm in my 'forever house'

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2018, 09:11:28 AM »

I can't see any point in trying to "future proof" by paying for FTTP early when you don't even need it, rather than wait until FTTP gets widely rolled out in the future. I don't really care if lots of other people can't live without a 1Gb connection, that doesn't mean I must get one for myself too.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2018, 09:21:19 AM »

I see what you are saying.
If it were the only way to get true fibre though, Would you? I'm guessing no.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2018, 11:53:49 AM »

I thought I already answered that question in reply #17.

I think the answer to the question in the subject line depends on how you interpret the "if required" part. Interpreting it as "If I required fibre, would I pay to get it?" then yes, I'd pay. That also seems to assume a lack of reasonable alternatives, otherwise I wouldn't require the fibre.
Pages: 1 [2]