Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach Slash Wholesale Fibre Broadband Prices for UK ISPs  (Read 880 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/07/openreach-slash-wholesale-fibre-broadband-prices-for-uk-isps.html

Openreach (BT) is to cut the prices of their wholesale “fibre broadband” (FTTC and FTTP) products to ISPs by up to 40%, which they say is designed to encourage providers to switch more of their old copper line (ADSL) users on to faster internet connections and this in turn will help to improve coverage.

The discounted prices within the offer are available on all variants of Openreach’s Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC) products, which include both their estimated VDSL2 (up to 80Mbps) and latest G.fast (up to 330Mbps) hybrid fibre lines across the United Kingdom. Related services are available to the vast majority of the UK.

Sadly the price cut will only benefit some ultrafast up to 330-1000Mbps Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) locations, mainly New Sites and Broadband Delivery UK areas (i.e. excluding their ‘Fibre First‘ cities), although all FTTP volumes will count toward the offer targets. Openreach currently aims to cover 3 million premises with FTTP by the end of 2020 and they hold an aspiration for 10 million by c.2025.

The idea is that this promotion will help to encourage consumers off older and slower ADSL (up to c.20Mbps) copper lines, which in turn will both assist in lifting the country’s average broadband ISP speeds and help to expand coverage by raising take-up in state aid supported (BDUK) areas.

Clive Selley, CEO of Openreach, said:

“We’ve invested more than 11 billion pounds into our network over the last decade and whilst that’s helped the UK become a global digital leader, there are still millions more homes and businesses that could benefit from the better broadband infrastructure we’ve built.

This offer is a win/win for Communications Providers, their customers and Openreach. It will help Britain’s homes and businesses to experience the benefits of faster and more reliable broadband. And it will incentivise our wholesale customers to participate in our long-term investment in digital infrastructure by upgrading more of their customers to superfast and ultrafast services.”
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach Slash Wholesale Fibre Broadband Prices for UK ISPs
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 10:55:04 AM »

From blurb
The idea is that this promotion will help to encourage consumers off older and slower ADSL (up to c.20Mbps) copper lines, which in turn will both assist in lifting the country’s average broadband ISP speeds and help to expand coverage by raising take-up in state aid supported (BDUK) areas.
As ignorant as I am, I hesitate to suggest that the raising of average speeds in that way, is nothing but cooking the books to look good. I doubt its benefit for someone like me and many on FFTC who suffer crosstalk.

As usual i stand to be corrected.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 11:25:53 AM »

I think trying to get people to upgrade to FTTC seems like they are wanting to squeeze more money out of FTTC. Also as you say, the more people go on FTTC the more crosstalk is going to be an issue.

I wonder how much it would be to put more fibre nodes in the ground. Then it would be less expensive to 1. build the fibre network out, and 2. the price of FoD would fall too as the chances of you being closer to a node would have increased.

I understand FoD is more inconvenient. But surely OR make some profit on it? It is also helping to build out their fibre foot print to more houses passed, and the customer is footing some of the bill.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 12:09:52 PM »

Why would they install more Aggregation Nodes though?

You want them to pay to install Agg Nodes that serve no homes, so FTTPod is cheaper, to speed up the FTTP rollout.

Wouldn't it just be cheaper and better value for money for OpenReach to use existing Agg Nodes and roll out FTTP to the 1400 homes they can already serve.

Surely that's better value than installing an unnecessary Agg Node where it isn't needed, to sit idle, to make a product they don't want to sell even cheaper.

When they install them for FTTC they do so with future FTTP in mind. Agg Nodes that currently serve FTTC are good for 1400 homes for FTTP.
Some heavily populated areas may need additional Agg Nodes to eventually serve everyone with FTTP.
However they can't just come along and drop an Agg Node closer to homes to just sit idle where there isn't even fibre yet.

FTTPod will play very very very little part in helping expand FTTP and I don't quite understand the obsession with it for those who have no intention of ordering it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM