Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Channel 11-14 wireless LAN and microwave ovens  (Read 1155 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Channel 11-14 wireless LAN and microwave ovens
« on: July 24, 2018, 12:45:40 AM »

Has anyone ever had interference from microwave ovens when using the highest 2.4GHz channels?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Channel 11-14 wireless LAN and microwave ovens
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 05:55:59 PM »

No but if you are noticing such an effect, I would suggest that Mrs Weaver has the microwave oven checked, for the safety of all in your household.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 06:12:49 PM »

A safety check may be in order, never a bad thing, but I believe it is not uncommon for quite healthy microwave ovens to cause interference to wireless lans.

A problem is that, grossly simplified, the regulations for 2.4 GHz band essentially require equipment to be able to accept interference, rather than not to cause interference (though there will be other regulations that effectively reduce potential for interference).  Such equipment includes microwave ovens, radio controlled toys, smart meters, etc.   All can use 2.4 GHz, and so all can cause interference for WiFi, all perfectly legal.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 04:25:40 PM »

I seem to remember many years ago that I avoided channel 11 for just this reason, but that was along time ago and memory fails. The current one is less than five years old and so is definitely a different device from the one being referred to.

So I have no evidence that this one is bad news. I have no idea how on earth I would get one checked out, living as we do in the middle of nowhere. In any case, the costs of testing it would be so enormous that it would be cheaper to replace it.

I had no idea that interference with 802.11 2.4GHz was a sign of a malfunctioning unit. In my ignorance, I had somehow just got the idea that all were guilty of causing interference in the high numbered 2.4GHz channels.

anything