Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Slides to 6 x 4 prints  (Read 1338 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Slides to 6 x 4 prints
« on: July 22, 2018, 11:45:48 AM »

Our eldest child reaches  50 soon and a grandchild has asked us to sort out some photos.
Many of the earliest years are on slides, and I am thinking of the best way to produce 6x4s from those slides. Is there a way, easy enough for old Ren, or a cheap way via the commercial path?

Multifunction is Canon Pixma MG6851.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Slides to 6 x 4 prints
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »

You need a slide scanner to convert the slides to  .jpg files for printing and storing. I've no experience of these devices, but they're readily available from Amazon and other places for ~£50.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 12:24:10 PM »

An idea, if I want to do a lot, but of that I'm not to sure. :(

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 05:12:43 PM »

I did put a cheap scanner on my letter to Santa, circa 6 or 7 years ago, with an eye to converting a boxfull of inherited family slides.

It did work, but I was dissapointed by quality.  Everthing I scanned had awful colour casts, though the originals looked fine on a (vintage!) slide viewer.   I have never got around to scanning all these slides but if I do, I’d probably explore commercial services options, rather than pay more for a scanner I will never use again...

If you do decide to try a commercial service, I’d suggest you dip a toe in the water first, with just a handful of slides.   Just in case they are no better than my Amazon cheapie. :-X

rpdmallett

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:12:41 PM »

My parents past away a few years ago and they were avid photographers and cine-film shooters.

To scan their slide collection, I purchased an Epson V550 Photo scanner.  It specifically has a slide option (and carrier) - scanning only a handful at time, but in amazing quality.  The Epson software automatically corrects for most colour changes that can occur over time.  For negatives, it can do 12 at a time.

I'd also invest in a goat's-hair brush, available on Amazon.  You need a way to remove all the dust that accumulates over the years - and also eventually accumulates on the scanning glass.  Obviously even the smallest bit of dust gets blown-up in size if not removed.

15,000 scans later and it's still going well!  (And 300+ cine films... but that's another story.)

anything