Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ECI Being Replaced with Huawei  (Read 5168 times)

KIAB

• Reg Member
Re: ECI Being Replaced with Huawei
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2018, 09:08:07 PM »

Something just doesn't seem right . . . and I believe we've looked at the area before, with some assistance from Black Sheep.

Outside 6 Vane Street, the PCP cabinet is clearly marked as number 1. I've checked in all the images, from all angles, for all the available years. Moving along Vane Street, towards the telephone box, the "fibre" twin cabinet is Huawei SmartAX MT5603T equipped.

Over at the bottom of Bathwick Hill, near St Mary's Church, there is another PCP cabinet whose marking is difficult to see but after checking all the images, from all angles, for all the available years, it can be seen to be marked as number 31.

I'll be interested to read what j0hn might be able to unearth.

Your correct Burakkucat along with BS, a few months ago.

The cab on Bathwick Hill, (No 32 according to OR where & when checker), no idea where it's fibre twin is located.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:22:26 PM by KIAB »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 10:02:27 PM »

What it says on roadworks.org is "erect/renew 1 PCP cabinet" - maybe there is not enough space on either side of the existing PCP cabinet for a G.fast pod, due to the stone wall. I didn't see anything about replacing a FTTC DSLAM cabinet.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2018, 10:25:55 PM »

Mark07, does your monkey possibly come from the same troop? ;D

Apparently so! Haha  ::)

Be cool if the extra H cab was to fit a g.fast pod, but surely they can add these to eci aswell?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2018, 10:44:34 PM »

Be cool if the extra H cab was to fit a g.fast pod, but surely they can add these to eci aswell?

Currently a "G.Fast pod" is fitted to the primary cross-connection cabinet (PCP) and not the "fibre" cabinet.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 11:24:34 PM »

Well that certainly is a confusing junction.
Even just looking at codelook and google maps it doesn't quite add up.

PCP31 has a Huawei FTTC cabinet.
PCP1 has none. It only serves a couple of dozen properties, most of them at flats at Grove House, 12 Pulteney Road.

PCP31 is full with a waiters list in effect. The roadworks description suggests the PCP is being reshelled and not a new DSLAM fitted.
600mm x 300mm x 1000mm is the size of the new fancy PCP's.

If the numbers on streetview are correct then it's strange that they put the DSLAM for 31 beyond PCP1 like that.
My initial suspicion would be that they were numbered incorrectly, but I really don't have a clue here.

Roadworks shows ducting coming from the cabinet numbered 31 and lists the position of PCP31 as being right where it appears to be
(PCP31) ACROSS CARRIAGEWAY JUNCTION OF DARLINGTON STREET, BATHWICK HILL

Then the other works listed contradicts this.
Description:
Erect/Renew 1 PCP cabinet and base (600mm x 300mm x 1000mm),Install 1m of 2 poly ducts in Footway,Install 3m of 7 poly ducts in Footway,Install 5m of 4 poly ducts in Footway

The site of the reshell is where the PCP1 appears to be.

I'm none the wiser, but there's no ECI being replaced.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2018, 11:32:56 PM »

The cab on Bathwick Hill, (No 32 according to OR where & when checker), no idea where it's fibre twin is located.

PCP32 is much further up Bathwick Hill, with its fibre twin (Huawei MA5603T) round the corner on St Anns Way

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3822671,-2.3472347,3a,75y,43.57h,75.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sA_p11FmOXmwz3845aNXawA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2018, 11:49:16 PM »

PCP32 is much further up Bathwick Hill, with its fibre twin (Huawei MA5603T) round the corner on St Anns Way

Yes, so it is. Well found.  :)

I really can't work out what is going on. I guess it's just a case of wait and see. There certainly isn't an ECI equipped "fibre" cabinet anywhere in that area of Bath.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 10:09:50 AM »

Go past there most days, so will see what happens..

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 11:20:51 AM »

PCP31 is full with a waiters list in effect. The roadworks description suggests the PCP is being reshelled and not a new DSLAM fitted.

Just as an aside.   Openreach reshelled most of the PCPs around here last year.  It's not as if all of them were really old type either.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2018, 12:23:27 PM »

Currently a "G.Fast pod" is fitted to the primary cross-connection cabinet (PCP) and not the "fibre" cabinet.

Ah, I see! Wasn't there talk of BT removing those PCPs once the network goes IP switched? Or did I make that up...

Suppose if they did, part of the decommissioning would be to move the pod to the DSLAM

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2018, 02:23:29 PM »

Can't see that happening.

I can't see how this would even be feasible.
The jumpering of pairs to activate an FTTC service is done in the PCP.

To completely remove the PCP but keep FTTC would require giving most engineers access to the DSLAM (this is NOT gonna happen) or doing this work in the underground junction box in front of the PCP instead.

Even when PSTN goes IP they will still need PCP's, unless they completely rip out the E-Side cables

I really really can't see them ripping up the E-Side cables and running the voice service from the FTTC DSLAMs.
LLU operators won't like the idea of that 1 bit.
As well as making their ADSL equipment obsolete they would also have even less control of the voice side of things.
Pages: 1 [2]