Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wireless networking or general networking errors  (Read 6581 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Wireless networking or general networking errors
« on: July 19, 2018, 01:53:29 AM »

In the last two iOS release, 11.4.0 and certainly 11.4.1 I have been getting errors relating to networking. Apps come up with messages and say that I am not connected to the internet, pinging say 8.8.8.8 comes up with no route or unreachable or some such, or DNS is inaccessible. I have unfortunately not noted at these times whether access to the local LAN is ok, which is stupid of me. Turning the wireless off and on again just fixes it. Has anyone else ha similar problems?

I have 300Mbps 802.11n WAP very close, about than 7m away, and it shows 300Mbps data rate but with very low signal strength - both as reported by the WAP. This is because there is a wooden wall and a wooden doorpost in the WAP of the AP which is on 5GHz. I am in bed, in the main bedroom. The upstairs WAP is just outside the bedroom and it is just off to one side of the doorway so it is not visible through the doorway, and is close to the edge of the door. There is also another WAP in earshot, close but on the ground floor and not quite immediately below.

boozy

• Reg Member
Re: Wireless networking or general networking errors
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 09:23:41 PM »

Might be worth making it visible if you've an aerial you can move

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-ANT24EC5S-Antenna-Extension-Cable/dp/B001BSK3NO

I use one for a security camera which is out of the line of sight - seems to do the job.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 10:57:10 PM »

An excellent tip. I have four antennae on this WAP, so it is a bit awkward. I am thinking of sticking it on to the ceiling.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 11:04:28 PM »

Hi weaver

I think there is issues at the moment with 8.8.8.8 so I suggest you change or add secondary to use 8.8.4.4

This is not a wap issue

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 02:21:09 AM »

I just picked 8.8.8.8 as an example, I have tried various destinations. And I do not use that for DNS btw, I use the two servers my ISP, AA, provides.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 02:50:24 PM »

I just noticed something very bad to do with iOS (11.4.1 currently). I tried to talk to my Firebrick router’s literal ipv6 address in Safari - http://[2001:8b0:xyz::whatever]/ and it said ‘You are not connected to the internet’ which is a bug, a bogus error message. What it should have said was ‘you do not have an ipv6 address’. That was the reason why I was doing this in the first place. When I went to the Firebrick originally, I noticed that it quoted ‘your IP address is 198.51.100.1’ and I wondered why it was showing an IPv4 address when I expect Safari, like other modern browsers to always prefer IPv6, which is possibly a stupid idea, but there it is.

Anyway, I indeed had no IPv6 address, for no good reason - iOS bug. I reset the wireless NIC with an on/off, and fixed the problem. So now I wonder how many times recently bogosity in the form of ‘no connectivity’ error messages has been due to lack of an IPv6 address, yet I never realised this.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 12:09:38 AM »

There is more to this than IPv6 though. This afternoon, my iPad said that it had no wireless LAN, no arcs showing at the top left. This was utter nonsense, it was as always really near the access point which is currently showing >200 / 24 Mbps, and in any case, there are two strong access points in earshot so even if the nearest WAP had failed it should have just roamed to the other AP. Simply disabling and re-enabling the WNIC in settings instantly fixed the problem. I cannot rule out a problem with the WAPs but their software has not changed and it is only since the last two iOS releases, 11.4.0 and 11.4.1 that I have ever had any problems whilst the same WAPs have been in use for years.

anything