Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Google fined by EU over Android  (Read 1966 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Google fined by EU over Android
« on: July 18, 2018, 01:26:12 PM »

4.3 billion, it seems.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44858238

Not sure what the chances are of the fine ever getting paid, mind.  Or even if paid, will Google actually mend their ways?  ::)

Still, as long is it helps the Brussels office workers to believe that their jobs are important, what more can we ask.

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Google fined by EU over Android
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »

it won't get paid, and the EU know it won't, and i suspect made it that high knowing that it wouldn't be enforced.
it's a token gesture to flex their muscles.

even if they did enforce it, what's the EU going to do if it doesn't get paid. can you imagine the EU banning Google from Europe?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 03:27:55 PM »

It's interesting in the BBC article that the case against Google seems to be nearly the exact same complaints made against Microsoft with windows;

What is the case against Google?

Ms Vestager alleges that there are three ways that Google has acted illegally:

1. it required Android handset and tablet manufacturers to pre-install the Google Search app and its own web browser Chrome as a condition for allowing them to offer access to its Play app store

2. it made payments to large manufacturers and mobile network operators that agreed to exclusively pre-install the Google Search app on their devices

3. it prevented manufacturers from selling any smart devices powered by alternative "forked" versions of Android by threatening to refuse them permission to pre-install its apps
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 03:55:15 PM »

Yeah its very similar.

Did Microsoft pay their fine?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 06:52:44 PM »

It's interesting in the BBC article that the case against Google seems to be nearly the exact same complaints made against Microsoft with windows;

Microsoft seem to be a complainant in this case.  From the Beeb, as already linked...

The European Commission first began scrutinising Android in April 2015, after a complaint by Fairsearch - a trade group that originally included Microsoft, Nokia and Oracle among its members.

I wonder if the Brussels workforce have ever considered the possibility that the big tech giants are just winding them up, maybe even laughing at them?

It certainly is interesting how EU regulators will snarl and bare their teeth over US tech companies, yet turn a blind eye to (for example) large German auto companies.   I’m thinking of the diesel emmisions swindle, I personally feel certain the EU regulators must have known all along that something very fishy was afoot.   Difference was, when exposed by respected US test labs, backed by actual authority, EU really had to jump into action.  Still, as long as the folks in Brussels feel important, I guess they are happy.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 08:01:27 PM »

Isn't this all getting a bit ridiculous?

First MS fined for not giving people a choice over which browser to use on an OS that they wrote? Although you could simply install whatever browser you wanted.
Now Google fined because to use the words of the BBC that their OS that they wrote was too locked down and uses Google search! Locked down, they have to be kidding me right???

Has Apple been fined for iOS being too locked down, using Safari or the wrong search engine, or are they just next for the EU to waste countless more millions on?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 09:51:26 PM »

Isn't this all getting a bit ridiculous?

Absolutely so.

Europe does not "rule the world". The US of A does not "rule the world". Both entities need to have their heads banged together and told to grow up.  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 10:16:11 PM »

Has Apple been fined for iOS being too locked down, using Safari or the wrong search engine, or are they just next for the EU to waste countless more millions on?

Unlike even the US, the European Commission does have an official propaganda channel which, unsurprisingly, has a page covering this great achievement.   Within that, it comments on Apple comparisons...

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-4581_en.htm

As a licensable operating system, Android is different from operating systems exclusively used by vertically integrated developers (like Apple iOS or Blackberry). Those are not part of the same market because they are not available for licence by third party device manufacturers.

There is a lot more mention of iOS too, read it if you have the attention span.   None of which makes any sense to me.   I have no idea what they are getting at, other than to conclude that I must be grateful to the European Commission for what they are doing and I must obey and respect them, as they can do no wrong.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 11:45:08 PM »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1019932691339399168

I told you so! The European Union just slapped a Five Billion Dollar fine on one of our great companies, Google. They truly have taken advantage of the U.S., but not for long!

???
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 09:56:47 PM »

Microsoft seem to be a complainant in this case.  From the Beeb, as already linked...

I wonder if the Brussels workforce have ever considered the possibility that the big tech giants are just winding them up, maybe even laughing at them?

It certainly is interesting how EU regulators will snarl and bare their teeth over US tech companies, yet turn a blind eye to (for example) large German auto companies.   I’m thinking of the diesel emmisions swindle, I personally feel certain the EU regulators must have known all along that something very fishy was afoot.   Difference was, when exposed by respected US test labs, backed by actual authority, EU really had to jump into action.  Still, as long as the folks in Brussels feel important, I guess they are happy.

Truck producers – 2.93 billion euros
In July 2016, the Commission fined MAN, Volvo/Renault, Daimler, Iveco, and DAF a total of 2.93 billion euros for forming a cartel and colluding on truck prices for 14 years.

The largest individual fine was on Daimler for 1.008 billion euros. DAF was hit with a fine of 752 million euros, while Volvo/Renault was fined 670 million euros.

Daimler is German

Also

French firm Saint-Gobain received the largest fine of 880 million euros, while U.K. firm Pilkington was hit with a fine of 357 million euros.

Now is the fine stupid?

The EU have decided that bundling your own software in your operating system as an automated default is unreasonable practice and will fine for it, or at least when there is competitor software available, e.g. windows calculator is fine but not windows media player and the browser. 

I think the size of the fine isnt an issue, as it has to be big enough for the company to take notice, something UK regulators should take note off e.g. google wouldnt bat an eyelid at say a 5 million fine as thats pocket change to them.

So it comes down to the reason for the fine, and I think the only thing that matters here is the law in the region which the product is sold, no matter how stupid the law may be, law is law.  I cannot be bothered to see if there is any specific competition law on software bundling so I remain of "no opinion" if the fine is stupid or not, but if the law exists it is probably a stupid law.

Trump's tweet is just embarrassing.