Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wireless LAN WAP selection  (Read 1151 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Wireless LAN WAP selection
« on: July 17, 2018, 05:28:59 AM »

If your device can hear a number of access points all broadcasting one or more SSIDs that you are able to log in to, how does your device pick which one to go for? I realise the answer might be system dependent but common examples would be helpful.

I am wondering if it is all based solely on signal strength, or on data rate, including the capacity doubling where you have bonded wide channels? In my case I am wondering about a choice between a 20MHz normal-width channel on 2.4GHz vs a 40MHz twin channel on 5 GHz.

I currently have a situation where there is a 40MHz 2.4GHz channel and a 40MHz 5GHz channel but am wondering it thing will be messed up if I were to reduce the 2.4GHz channel down to be 20MHz single width so I can fit more 2.4GHz ono-overlapping channels in. Would a strong narrow 2.4GHz channel attract all the stations even when they could have used a viable double-width 5GHz offering that is x dB weaker?

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Wireless LAN WAP selection
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 02:45:31 PM »

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Wireless LAN WAP selection
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 09:59:55 AM »

That applies to where the same SSID is in use. Where there are multiple SSIDs nothing more interesting than whichever they detect first or a list of them and whatever's at the top.