Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: re-locating "master" socket  (Read 6476 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: re-locating "master" socket
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 08:09:53 PM »

I used to have my modems located next to my master socket, but recently recabled to have a cat5 extension hard-wired from the master socket to my patch panel in the cupboard under the stairs where my comms/network equipment lives, and saw no change in the sync rates/attenuation.

looking at this again.
i don't have a patch panel.

so it would either be as originally planned and put the modem next to the master stock and run ethernet from the modem to the switch upstairs.
or as you suggested, run ethernet from master sock modem port upstairs to where the modem currently is.

either way there will be an ethernet cable running upstairs, which is fine.
when you say the ethernet is hardwired from the master socket, do you mean you just have ethernet plugged into the top modem port? or is it actually wired internally inside the socket? the only snag for me is that i'd need to snip the end of one of the ethernet cables and put an RJ11 plug on the end as my modem is RJ11 on the DSL port.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2018, 09:36:25 PM »

I don't use my lines for voice, so my setup is a bit different to yours, but yes, by "hard-wired", I mean wired internally inside the socket.

On the back of the standard (voice-only) detachable front-plate on my NTE5A, there are 3 IDC terminals.  I took one pair of wires from a CAT5 cable, and terminated them onto the A and B terminals.  (I have two lines, so did the same with the other NTE5A, using another pair of wires from the same CAT5).

My understanding is that on your socket with the VDSL faceplate, you should have two sets of IDC terminals - one for data (on the back of the VDSL part of the socket), and one for voice (on the original voice-only faceplate).  So you could then use one pair in the CAT5 to carry the VDSL as a "data-only extension", and then another pair (or a pair and half) to carry the voice.

If I'm understanding things correctly, you would then not need any filters on the voice part of your network.

It also depends on your cat5 cable - is this just a long patch cable you bought pre-terminated?  If so, it may be stranded cable, and not suitable for the IDC terminals.

Also, just in case you haven't seen it, here's my recent story about rewiring my master sockets:

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21450.0.html
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:42:32 PM by DaveC »

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 10:38:29 PM »

It also depends on your cat5 cable - is this just a long patch cable you bought pre-terminated?  If so, it may be stranded cable, and not suitable for the IDC terminals.

Yes it's a 10m cat5e cable pre terminated.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 12:03:58 AM »

This is a good job, well done to you.
Pages: 1 2 [3]