Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New build fttp phone extensions  (Read 1569 times)

A1d3n

• Just arrived
New build fttp phone extensions
« on: July 16, 2018, 12:10:53 PM »

My sister has recently moved into a new build that only has fttp so no copper line into the property at all. She has her phone plugged into line 1 on the ont which is under the stairs. The house has extensions wired in dining room/sitting room which she would rather have her phone plugged into. Next to the ont under the stairs there is a back box with coils in (which I assume are the extensions). Can anyone advise how to connect the extensions to line 1 on the ont? Do I need a certain faceplate and interconnecting voice lead?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: New build fttp phone extensions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 02:58:41 PM »

From your description, it appears that building developer has only done part of the job -- or has not bothered to read and/or understand the Openreach document titled "How to Build a Fibre Network. Developer Guide." My copy is Version 4 - March 2017.

Without having sight of what you can see, I suspect that your assumption is correct. The way I would proceed is as follows --
  • Go to each extension socket, in term, and make a note of how they are connected.
  • At the back-box, under the stairs by the ONT, connect a tone-tracing oscillator and check for the signal at each extension socket.
  • Consider the results of the above two steps.
  • Connect a standard extension socket to the cable and mount it onto the under-stairs back-box.
  • Obtain a type BS6312 431A to BS6312 431A patch cable. (That is just a cable with standard telephone plugs at each end.)
  • Plug one end of the above patch cable into the telephone port of the ONT and the other end into the newly fitted extension socket.
  • Confirm that telephone calls can be made and received.
As you will appreciate, there is a lot of "fine detail" that I have omitted in the above. Treat it as a preliminary guide.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:04:28 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.