Chat > Tech Chat

It’s not exactly rocket science, or is it?

(1/4) > >>

sevenlayermuddle:
I used to understand a certain amount of physics as, without it, you’d not get a degree in electronics.  But that was nearly half a century ago.

Even so, with my very limited recollections, I basically thought that the best place to launch a rocket into space was as close as possible to the equator, as you get maximum assistance from the planet’s rotation.  That is borne out empirically, the US launches rockets from southern states, such as Florida.

It seems Scotland’s Highlands and Islands Enterprise sees the physics differently, as does the BBC in reporting it...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44841123

So, genuine question or few...

Can a launch from northern UK, in these days of striving for conservation of fossil fuel and reduction of greenhouse emissions, ever really be efficient and socially justifiable use of resources? 

Can it really be commercially viable?

And wouldn’t the Scandinavians have something to say about it from safety perspective,  assuming they launch in that direction?

boost:
It's just another post brexit potential pop up shop.

We'll be seeing lots of stuff like this now. Anything which can increase GDP will be entertained, I imagine?

Black Sheep:
I read Tim Peake's, 'Ask an Astronaut' the moment it was released and he touches ever so slightly on the topic 7LM.

He concurs with you, if memory serves.  ;) :)

chenks:

--- Quote from: sevenlayermuddle on July 16, 2018, 12:04:32 AM ---Can a launch from northern UK, in these days of striving for conservation of fossil fuel and reduction of greenhouse emissions, ever really be efficient and socially justifiable use of resources? 

Can it really be commercially viable?

And wouldn’t the Scandinavians have something to say about it from safety perspective,  assuming they launch in that direction?

--- End quote ---

the russians don't seem to think it's a problem, and they aren't exactly near the equator.

what safety issues would there be for the scandinavians to be concerned about?

chenks:

--- Quote from: Black Sheep on July 16, 2018, 02:07:01 PM ---I read Tim Peake's, 'Ask an Astronaut' the moment it was released and he touches ever so slightly on the topic 7LM.

He concurs with you, if memory serves.  ;) :)

--- End quote ---

i met him during one of his talk tours.
i hope he doesn't become like Buzz where he'll turn up to the opening of an envelope.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version