Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VLAN Switch Required But BT Wholesale Refuse - Any Suggestions?  (Read 1156 times)

rbz5416

VLAN Switch Required But BT Wholesale Refuse - Any Suggestions?
« on: October 26, 2018, 12:48:03 PM »

Slightly unusual one here.

I switched from BT to Plusnet in August & had a few issues, not least disconnections, intermittent high latency & dropped packets. This eventually resulted in a VLAN switch to one that was less congested. This solved the disconnects & dropped packets but introduced a new symptom.

Prior to the VLAN switch the connection reached full speed quickly. Now it takes 4-5s to ramp up. This results in web pages with lots of content from different sources loading slowly. Also downloads monitored through Task Manager show the same issue of taking several seconds to achieve full speed. According to ThinkBroadband's speed test, the average time for Plusnet connections to achieve full speed is under half a second. Something confirmed by asking a few other users to test.

I've asked Plusnet to switch the VLAN again to prove the issue but they say that as Wholesale can't see any fault, they refuse the request. I've asked them to cancel the contract penalty free to which they've agreed, but switching ISP isn't necessarily going to get me on another VLAN. Anyone from Wholesale able to suggest how I might get this resolved?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:19:20 PM by rbz5416 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: VLAN Switch Required But OR Refuse - Any Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 01:14:37 PM »

Just for clarity, it's BT Wholesale who control that, not OpenReach.
It's also an SV-LAN, not a VLAN.

They will usually only swap SV-LAN if it's "running hot" / over utilised.

I've no idea what could be causing your exact issue but I would imagine a switch of ISP would change things.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

rbz5416

Re: VLAN Switch Required But BT Wholesale Refuse - Any Suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 01:20:46 PM »

Thanks J0hn, you are of course right & I've amended the OP to Wholesale.