Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bricked (semi) ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A  (Read 5987 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Bricked (semi) ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A
« on: July 15, 2018, 02:15:59 PM »

I tried to reset one of my modems using the 20 second pin reset. I was trying to put in a good XML config, it was not an issue of a bad firmware flash image, and I was hoping to get the configuration reset so I could load up a known good backup if the XML. A lot of failures were endured, I was using an iPad, which is all I have these days, and I think I hit a lot of bad bugs in Safari/iOS which are triggered when you are using a setup that has no dhcp server on the LAN and you have static rfc 1918 made-up addresses temporarily.

In the end I managed to ping the modem’s admin i/f at 192.168.1.1 and in a web browser I got the emergency recovery http-server in boot loader thingy. In Safari / iOS on my iPad I could not see any web page at all, so I tried a different iPad web browser, iCab. iCab gave me a half of a web page, the bottom half of the page was missing and there were 0ther things wrong with the display. I just don't have another machine at hand, tried three iPads. I have gone through the procedure successfully before, that is the weird thing, but the iOS version is now different, although I used an older iPad to rule that out. The firmware version is different, is our own johnson's latest jumbo v16-based one, dated late June. I did a recovery using Safari on an iPad with this very same emergency boot rescue http thingy.

Anyway, that modem is now effectively stuffed as I cannot out a good config into it.

The normal http server was no longer working after I fiddled around with the device using the CLI in telnet, trying to get DNS working properly and a few other things.

I could try the 30-30-30 reset, but I am completely exhausted now and cannot think straight.

Does anyone have any suggestions concerning de-bricking?

It does respond to pings and has some life in it as shown by the funny web page appearing, when you put it into the right state at any rate.

Otherwise I might appeal to a very generous volunteer to de-brick it for me?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Bricked (semi) ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 07:03:35 PM »

I know that there is a set of header-pins on the PCB, which provides serial port access to the device's console.

I don't know the assignment of TxD, RxD, Gnd & Vcc to the four pins . . .

J1-1, J1-2, J1-3 & J1-5, reading left to right.

Please see johnson's post, below, where the details are now visible for all to see.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:08:15 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 07:43:25 PM »

I would have to buy one of the "get console" hardware devices which can provide an ipad with an RS232-type interface.

Too much expense and too much physical pain and fatigue so I would just write one modem off as a lesson to be learned. Unless I can fiddle about again with the reset procedure and achieve some success, then maybe I should just give the modem to any kitizen who can fix it, FOC.

I don't know why the emergency recovery web ui seemed to be producing those half web pages.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 07:45:26 PM by Weaver »

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 11:43:53 PM »

So to clarify, you have not been able to flash a firmware via the bootloader recovery page?

The 20 second reset procedure should be clearing any settings you have changed, it does for mine.

On my 1312 it seems picky about when it serves you the recovery page, after the 20 seconds flashing red to solid I have to wait at least 1 minute before it starts responding with a web page on 192.168.1.1.

I have no idea why the page seems corrupted? I have not used the recovery procedure on the v16 firmware (not that firmware version should change anything, the recovery is from the bootloader) but I shall try in a moment to just to make sure.

Edit: There is also 1 port on the modem that will not respond with the recovery console, I forget which atm and need the serial console to find it easily, will get back to you in a minute.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:55:35 PM by johnson »

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 12:30:55 AM »

I have a bricked 1312 and Iam TJ offered to de-brick it but he hasn't posted on here for a while. Mine was no red light on boot at all so it never got to the recovery web page.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 12:43:09 AM »

So I just tried from the v16 jumbo frames firmware and the recovery is accessible as normal, the port that will not work is labelled 4 on the box. After swapping cables you have to wait a full minute or so before it becomes accessible again.

The full page looks like this:

Which part is corrupted on yours?

I have a bricked 1312 and Iam TJ offered to de-brick it but he hasn't posted on here for a while. Mine was no red light on boot at all so it never got to the recovery web page.

Did he tell you want was required to debrick yours banger? I assume more than just a serial console.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 12:46:26 AM »

He didn't just said he had several and would have a look and it was probably a flash failure. He used to be a regular poster.

It bricked just after power cycling it while online with the power button but had become non responsive before the power cycle.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:56:52 AM by banger »
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 07:49:11 PM »

For reference the serial pin out is attached, excuse my poor editing skills  ;D

No need to connect anything to to the 3.3V line in most cases, just ground tx and rx and ensure they are reversed, ie rx -> tx, tx -> rx to your serial converter.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 07:57:40 PM »

I can only see the very topmost part of a page, the rest is either absent or covered up or clipped off.

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 08:13:10 PM »

The trouble is, you don't know if it's a GUI issue explicitly related to Safari.
Have you tried another browser from your I device?
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 08:35:52 PM »

I tried to send a PM Weaver but:

If we cant get the modem functional again (I'm sure with some perseverance we can). I would be happy to try my hand if you'd trust sending it to me. Shouldn't be much postage given it only needs to be the device itself.

But that's a later conversation, I know you have been through the browser mill before trying to troubleshoot things, but have you tried chrome on iOS? It might still be webkit but maybe it avoids whatever is corrupting the page in safari?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 01:06:49 AM »

I can certainly do that Chrome thing. Safari showed no output, iCab showed the corrupted half display. But Safari has worked with this same emergency http thingummy in the past. So this suggests there is something wrong with the modem or it is a bad release of iOS or some of these apps, which is really unlikely given that they work otherwise.

If I can't get it going with a bit of handholding I would like to take you up on your generous offer.

The flags were set wrong it seems, so that is why you were unable to PM me.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:10:54 AM by Weaver »

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 10:30:46 AM »

So have you got any further with the recovery page? Was thinking, how are you connecting to the modem when you try and access it, do you have a lightning to ethernet adapter for the ipad?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 12:14:27 AM »

I have several access points which are indeed wireless-to-ethernet converters. I just plugged the modem into my main LAN switch and set the iPad to a statically configured IPv4 address of 192.168.1.99 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1 (not that it matters). Safari just did not work and iCab came up with this unreadable webpage. I think there are (once again) bad bugs in iOS and / or Safari when you use static addresses like this and / or when no DHCP server is accessible on the LAN even if it is not supposed to be used. These bugs do not help. I tried plugging in and unplugging the Firebrick from the main switch because the Firebrick is a DHCPv4 server and I wanted to see what effect this had on the iOS + Safari weird behaviour.

I have not done any more with the sad modem yet as I have been really ill and asleep all day due to the Fentanyl (ie heroine++) running out. But I will try now I am feeling a bit more human.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 12:33:47 AM »

Hmm . . . I really think that you have explained the problem. When using the Broadcom firmware upload mechanism (which is basically from the boot-loader) it is essential to use a direct cable link between the terminal device and the VMG1312-B10A.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2

anything