Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

Bricked (semi) ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A

(1/6) > >>

Weaver:
I tried to reset one of my modems using the 20 second pin reset. I was trying to put in a good XML config, it was not an issue of a bad firmware flash image, and I was hoping to get the configuration reset so I could load up a known good backup if the XML. A lot of failures were endured, I was using an iPad, which is all I have these days, and I think I hit a lot of bad bugs in Safari/iOS which are triggered when you are using a setup that has no dhcp server on the LAN and you have static rfc 1918 made-up addresses temporarily.

In the end I managed to ping the modem’s admin i/f at 192.168.1.1 and in a web browser I got the emergency recovery http-server in boot loader thingy. In Safari / iOS on my iPad I could not see any web page at all, so I tried a different iPad web browser, iCab. iCab gave me a half of a web page, the bottom half of the page was missing and there were 0ther things wrong with the display. I just don't have another machine at hand, tried three iPads. I have gone through the procedure successfully before, that is the weird thing, but the iOS version is now different, although I used an older iPad to rule that out. The firmware version is different, is our own johnson's latest jumbo v16-based one, dated late June. I did a recovery using Safari on an iPad with this very same emergency boot rescue http thingy.

Anyway, that modem is now effectively stuffed as I cannot out a good config into it.

The normal http server was no longer working after I fiddled around with the device using the CLI in telnet, trying to get DNS working properly and a few other things.

I could try the 30-30-30 reset, but I am completely exhausted now and cannot think straight.

Does anyone have any suggestions concerning de-bricking?

It does respond to pings and has some life in it as shown by the funny web page appearing, when you put it into the right state at any rate.

Otherwise I might appeal to a very generous volunteer to de-brick it for me?

burakkucat:
I know that there is a set of header-pins on the PCB, which provides serial port access to the device's console.

I don't know the assignment of TxD, RxD, Gnd & Vcc to the four pins . . .

J1-1, J1-2, J1-3 & J1-5, reading left to right.

Please see johnson's post, below, where the details are now visible for all to see.

Weaver:
I would have to buy one of the "get console" hardware devices which can provide an ipad with an RS232-type interface.

Too much expense and too much physical pain and fatigue so I would just write one modem off as a lesson to be learned. Unless I can fiddle about again with the reset procedure and achieve some success, then maybe I should just give the modem to any kitizen who can fix it, FOC.

I don't know why the emergency recovery web ui seemed to be producing those half web pages.

johnson:
So to clarify, you have not been able to flash a firmware via the bootloader recovery page?

The 20 second reset procedure should be clearing any settings you have changed, it does for mine.

On my 1312 it seems picky about when it serves you the recovery page, after the 20 seconds flashing red to solid I have to wait at least 1 minute before it starts responding with a web page on 192.168.1.1.

I have no idea why the page seems corrupted? I have not used the recovery procedure on the v16 firmware (not that firmware version should change anything, the recovery is from the bootloader) but I shall try in a moment to just to make sure.

Edit: There is also 1 port on the modem that will not respond with the recovery console, I forget which atm and need the serial console to find it easily, will get back to you in a minute.

banger:
I have a bricked 1312 and Iam TJ offered to de-brick it but he hasn't posted on here for a while. Mine was no red light on boot at all so it never got to the recovery web page.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version