Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

Zyxel VMG8924-B10A - Bridge mode

(1/2) > >>

machare:
I would like to try my VMG8924-B10A in bridge mode.

I went to Network Settings/Broadband/Add new WAN Interface  and added a new connection with a mode of bridge, Vlan active, 102.1p = 0, 102.1q=101.

I made this connection active and disabled the normal VDSL connection. 

Is that all I should have done?

Should I then be able to connect to the internet from my W10 laptop using Wifi? The laptop lacks a wired ethernet port.

Weaver:
I am not sure what you mean by bridge mode ? What do you understand it to mean? Need you to help me understand :-)

I have heard the term used when it means 'straight modem-only mode' and with a modem-router, the device stops being a router and becomes a straight modem, and needs to be connected to a router via an ethernet cable. The router then performs routing, firewalling, NAT, possibly is a wireless access point too, and does a host of other things. The modem is now just that, it just makes a link between the router and the dsl internet connection but is otherwise completely dumb.

skyeci:
bridge mode means you have a router behind the modem. If you don't have a seperate router you won't be able to run the zyxel in "bridge" mode.

Weaver:
skyeci and I are on the same page then.

roseway:
One router function you didn't mention is that it also handles the PPP negotiation when the modem is in true bridge mode. You can also get modems which include the PPP negotiation, leaving the router to do everything else, but this isn't bridge mode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version