Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A - long time to boot up  (Read 5085 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A - long time to boot up
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2018, 02:35:31 AM »

I wonder if a better compiler or more aggressive optimisation switches would help boot time. The compiler will be the best available (MIPS?) and probably the switches will probably be right. Also for all I know it could be i/o limited or limited by the speed of RAM. RAM could be cold too. So I am not at all hopeful, switches would be the only thing where there might be a chance.

It is incredible the amount of time it takes. My Firebrick boots in well under seven seconds.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 12:47:32 PM »

Yes but that makes the Firebrick incredibly fast, not the Zyxel incredibly slow.

The average consumer grade modem/router boots far closer to the Zyxels boot time than the Firebricks.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2018, 03:48:46 PM »

Agree that the firebrick is the outlier here, but even for normal consumer stuff the zyxel boxes are at the slow end.

I had a look at using a different toolchain, downloaded the "Codescape" package from MIPS, but on inspection the layout the differences between it and the one supplied by zyxel would mean an awful lot of hunting through Makefile spaghetti or meticulously renaming things in the Codescape package.

The supplied one is uClibc, which from looking at:
https://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Toolchains
appears to be the most complete if not the most optimised. I know compiler optimisation is some dark magic, but I doubt there are serious benefits between solutions to a problem as well explored as C/C++ compilers.

Had some fun poking around with "make menuconfig" on the kernel, lots of very specific broadcom options there, one thing of note was a DSL GINP RETX option which was completely disabled... this must be of no consequence as GINP certainly works without it, but weird that there is unused kernel support for it.

Trying to build after making changes to the kernel config somehow managed to break the build environment on my VM... fun! Some changed env variable or something maybe, couldn't seem to reverse it even after removing everything related to the build and setting it up again. Was good to refresh how to create it in a new VM though, it really is just a few steps.

So yeah, probably wont be playing with kernel configs much more, but may stick with removing iptables on my own firmwares.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2018, 06:58:54 PM »

>doubt there are serious benefits between solutions to a problem as well explored as C/C++ compilers.

On the contrary, sort-of, speaking as an assembler language programmer the differences between C or C++ are both small and large depending on circumstances. There has been a huge amount of very advanced new technology recently and in some respects compilers are improving enormously. On some run-of the-mill stuff good compilers are fairly similar especially if exotic settings are nit investigated. But some new compilers have new tricks that will be killers in the right circumstances. Writing a decent backend is really hard nowadays because the standard is so high and doing a good job of handling parallelisation and SIMD is got easy. Also optimisations based in cold-got cache awareness are getting more and more important as RAM becomes a worse embarrassment by the year.

I think you made the right decision. My intuition is that the gains to be had on a processor such as MIPS are probably less than those available on x86 or x64.

enformatic

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2020, 10:40:59 PM »

@burakkucat can you look at it?

echo "admin:8wZAynnnSPWmU:0:0:Administrator:/:/bin/sh" > /var/passwd

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 11:33:00 PM by enformatic »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2020, 11:50:26 PM »

@burakkucat can you look at it?

#echo "supervisor:3Gnc.CJE1790M:0:0:Administrator:/:/bin/sh" > /var/passwd
  echo "admin:8wZAynnnSPWmU:0:0:Administrator:/:/bin/sh" > /var/passwd
  echo "root::0:root,supervisor,support,user" > /var/group

I've looked at it and see nothing that is relevant to Weaver's topic "ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A - long time to boot up". You really should start your own topic with a suitable subject line and not hijack existing topics.

Of the three lines you have shown, the first is commented out and, thus, is not executed. The second line creates a minimal passwd file in the /var/ directory. The password string has been encrypted with the descrypt() function and therefore cannot exceed a maximum length of eight characters. The third line creates a minimal group file in the /var/ directory.

The string 8wZAynnnSPWmU is just the DES encrypted representation of 1234. I.e the admin "password" is 1234.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything