Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A - long time to boot up

(1/5) > >>

Weaver:
It is a bit of a pain, the length of time my modem takes to boot. I saw a few things in the CLI manual that made me thing about ways of improving it. The manual I have seems really inaccurate - some commands that I tried were ‘not recognised’, and I entered them very carefully because I used copy-paste from the manual PDF file into Telnet, so no chance of finger trouble misspelling keywords anyway.

One thing is something paragraph that is very garbled about enabling / disabling a testing procedure on usb port hardware at boot time, and it mentions something about slowness but the text is a mess and the ingrish all over the place.

Another thing is concerning groping for ATM VCI values, in a kind of intelligent auto-config routine, which might be really slow for all I know. It looks as if it is the good thing - fixed to VPI/VCI = 38/0 for BT ADSL2 in my case. My config came from AA my ISP, so the basics will be correct, it’s not just based solely on my attempt.

I wonder if anyone knows of any other annoying options which cause delay?

[Remember from the early 80s, the horrible RAM test that some machines did, the original IBM PC might be one example, I forget. Luckily you could turn it off in the sane machines. At work one group had an OS/2 Lan Manager file server which used to do a chkdsk (or the equivalent) on its filesystem every time the box had not shut down cleanly, ie because of a power outage or a crash, and the thing felt like it was taking a fortnight.]

burakkucat:
With my VMG1312-B10A I always allow for three minutes following a cold-boot.

Looking in my library, I have copies of the --

* CLI Reference Manual Version 1.0
* User's Guide Version 1.0 Edition 3I suspect you have the same. If not, let me know . . .

Weaver:
Quite a few commands mentioned in the manual for the CLI are just unknown by the box itself. Maybe a general piece of documentation got associated with umpteen products, among which    some were older, some newer or just modified for some strange reason.

Exactly those same version numbers, for both.

burakkucat:
Did you login as "admin" or "supervisor"?

At which CLI prompt did you issue the commands?  The ZyXEL prompt (" > ") or the BusyBox shell prompt ("~ # ")?

[Duo2 ~]$ ssh admin@AP
admin@ap's password:
 > sh
sshd:error:945.113:processInput:599:unrecognized command sh
 > Connection to AP closed.
[Duo2 ~]$ ssh supervisor@AP
supervisor@ap's password:
 > sh
~ #  > CLI exiting now.

Bye bye. Have a nice day!!!
Connection to AP closed.
[Duo2 ~]$

Weaver:
The ZyXEL prompt. I have learned something - I was not aware of the distinction and just assumed that there was one shell, not counting the multiple well-known unix contenders, that is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version