Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Linux distribution advice  (Read 6388 times)

boost

• Reg Member
Re: Linux distribution advice
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 04:08:52 PM »

Sure but then you have 2 full blown systems running for what is really a very simple program.

I know docker feels like another "latest thing" fad, but this kind of use case really suits it. You could run one linux instance (that can do other things) and run the 2 DSLStats in containers.

I was gonna suggest the docker thing too (someone has already posted a dockerfile for dslstats on here somewhere so they've already done all work) but you still need a base distro and I still can't think which one to recommend :D

Recently, I've been using elementaryOS for when I need a desktop:

https://elementary.io/ - elementary OS is a Linux distribution based on Ubuntu.

It has the apple mac style bar thing at the bottom, which, with a small bit of donkeying around, you can make the icons zoom in the same way too but I'm guessing you'll be wanting something as light as possible?

I'm guessing ESXi doesn't support docker natively? You're laughing if it does.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 04:39:43 PM »

It has the apple mac style bar thing at the bottom, which, with a small bit of donkeying around, you can make the icons zoom in the same way too but I'm guessing you'll be wanting something as light as possible?

If you are into small linux distributions with the shiny mac icon bar then tiny core is where you should go. Full linux with the aforementioned gui in less than 20mb. Tbh, I have not run it in a looong time, but loved it when I did, the idea of a base install that you modified on boot with whatever changes you liked feels a like a precursor to containers as we know them now.

http://www.tinycorelinux.net/

I'm guessing ESXi doesn't support docker natively? You're laughing if it does.

I dont think it does... proxmox on the other hand....  :D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 10:50:12 AM »

I have been using PCLinuxOS for years and have very little problems with it.
We have a small footprint one called 'DarkStar'
http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/pclinuxos/pclinuxos/live-cd/community/

https://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/kde/
I use darkstar and all my machines and I add what programs I want.

With a even more stripped down version of darkstar (you use 'Synaptic' built in package manager to install or un-install programs.) I use it on my backup sever, a previous version ran for 5 years with out any updates.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 01:38:55 PM »

Thanks for all the advice. I’ve just created a PCLinnxOS VM. I’ve yet to configure it and set up DSL stats but it’s a small enough footprint for the resources I have spare on my ESXi server.

I need to get VNC to work,  as working from the ESXi console is not perfect
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 03:08:48 PM »

If you are into small linux distributions with the shiny mac icon bar then tiny core is where you should go. Full linux with the aforementioned gui in less than 20mb. Tbh, I have not run it in a looong time, but loved it when I did, the idea of a base install that you modified on boot with whatever changes you liked feels a like a precursor to containers as we know them now.

http://www.tinycorelinux.net/

I dont think it does... proxmox on the other hand....  :D

20MB! That's amazing. I'll have a squint now, thanks.

How could I forget proxmox! Definitely worth a look for those running ESXi at home. I tried it on my home stuff a little while ago, was very impressed and it does, indeed, support container creation from the GUI. I assumed they were LXC/LXD containers or something at the time.

Here a screeny I took:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:11:21 PM by boost »

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »

How could I forget proxmox! Definitely worth a look for those running ESXi at home. I tried it on my home stuff a little while ago, was very impressed and it does, indeed, support container creation from the GUI. I assumed they were LXC/LXD containers or something at the time.

Sorry I didnt mean to imply proxmox supported docker natively, it uses LXC containers as you say. Still it really supports them, few clicks and away you go.

Edit: How could I miss that screenshot?! 128 cores and 256GB of ram... tasty!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:12:35 PM by johnson »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything