Computer Software > Linux

Linux distribution advice

(1/5) > >>

g3uiss:
I’m looking to move both my DSL Stats instances, off my windows servers, onto two small Linux distro’s  I can run on my ESXi 5.5 host.

This has plenty of resource and would enable continuous monoitoring, as with the windows servers they get rebooted at least monthly if only for patching.

Any recommendations as to a small distro just to run DSL stats ? I’m familiar with Ubuntu but not recently in its early days so something quite standard I suspect. I had thought of Pie, but having the ESXi box seemed unnecessary expense.

burakkucat:
I use RHEL but it would be quite unnecessary for your usage case.

Perhaps something like PCLinuxOS might be appropriate?

g3uiss:
Thanks. I will give that a try. I’ve used KDE before so will try that. Should be a faily quick process to try :)

johnson:

--- Quote from: g3uiss on July 14, 2018, 06:03:19 PM ---Thanks. I will give that a try. I’ve used KDE before so will try that. Should be a faily quick process to try :)

--- End quote ---

The beauty of VMs is its so easy to try anything out.

I run fedora day to day, but on a scratchpad VM almost always use ubuntu, just less to worry about.

If you are not currently running a linux instance on your esxi host I'd recommend latest ubuntu for the first DSLStats, easy transition back into linux (sorry if I misunderstand but sounds like you have not run linux in a minute or so), then once you know exactly what you want go and find something slimmer or more suited for the second.

Can I ask why you run 2 instances of DSLStats? Just added redundancy?

chenks:

--- Quote from: g3uiss on July 14, 2018, 05:44:22 PM --- as with the windows servers they get rebooted at least monthly if only for patching.

--- End quote ---

why is that a problem?
just have dslstats set to open on startup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version