Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: G.fast networks of the future will be with us sooner than you think  (Read 2039 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/07/g-fast-networks-of-the-future-will-be-with-us-sooner-than-you-think-guest-editorial.html

NOTE: This article is a special Guest Editorial for ISPreview.co.uk, which has been written by Robin Mersh, CEO of the Broadband Forum.

In a bid to deliver high speeds and more capacity to end users, ISPs are turning to that final stretch of copper to make ultrafast broadband a reality today. Tackling the last mile of the network that takes us right to the premises will unlock the extra bandwidth that consumers now expect for streaming content and practical communications applications.

One solution enabling the industry to deliver on this is Gfast – the broadband access technology that brings ultrafast broadband via existing copper networks. This creates a viable option to bring high-speed broadband, and the new services that this enables, to locations that cannot be reached by other access methods such as fiber, due to geographical terrain or low economic viability.

The most attractive part of this gigabit-class technology is that it delivers these high speeds without the need to either re-wire or disrupt existing premises or perform costly new construction work in and to premises – that in themselves can require lengthy civil works approval. For end-users, self-installation is also made possible.

By creating a financially viable milestone on the way to an all fiber strategy it will accelerate the availability of high speed Internet services for those who would otherwise have to wait for many years. Simply put, Gfast brings ultrafast broadband to more users by lowering cost of deployment. Gfast promises to cost-effectively deliver bandwidth-intensive consumer applications, such as cloud-based applications and 4K Ultra High Definition to homes and premises. Gfast can also help operators meet their own broadband targets by expanding the footprint of existing fiber networks. The latest versions of this ITU-T copper technology can reach two gigabits per second making it a strong candidate for multi-tenant buildings. Most consumers and small businesses will see almost every application being satisfied by 100-200 megabit per second Gfast services.

Building on lessons learned from DSL and important work already carried out around Gfast standardization, the industry will avoid difficulties experienced with proprietary products during the initial DSL roll out. Gfast also has other interesting features such as reverse power feed to further reduce installation costs.

Read the full article on ispreview. It's quite indepth about G.fast technology.

[Moderator edited to remove the duplicated paragraph within the quotation.]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:28:54 PM by burakkucat »
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: G.fast networks of the future will be with us sooner than you think
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 11:03:06 AM »

It is an interesting read about what G.fast can do in the right environment. The problem is OR aren't deploying G.fast to its full potential. When it first appeared on the horizon we were going to see pods on telegraph poles and literally the only copper in the route then would have been from the home to the pod. This would have been a good solution and at least a small step as the full fibre networks were being built.

There is no pods around my area. I'm wondering how many pods are deployed already? I looked on thinkbroadbands map the other day and there is hardly any in Greater Manchester. But I'm thinking pods are deployed but not being switched on.

I noticed a commenter to the story said they talked to someone and their pod won't be switched on until 2020. I wonder whats going on?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 11:25:17 AM »

It would've been better to have G.fast pods at DPs but unfortunately that didn't happen. The SFI engineer I was speaking with yesterday afternoon said during our discussion that he expects G.fast to start to become much more available in my area within the next 6 to 12 months. Initially the maximum range will be roughly 300 meters, but later on with more advances in the technology he hopes it could be end up being able to reach around 500 meters at least. I don't know if what he says is fairly accurate but as he works for Openreach and is an SFI engineer then I'd like to hope some or most of what he said is likely.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 07:26:36 PM »

My area g.fast pods start to go ahead as planning as November 2020 instead of August 2018. Massive pushed back date.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 04:26:01 PM »

My area g.fast pods start to go ahead as planning as November 2020 instead of August 2018. Massive pushed back date.

Out of interest, where did you find out this information? All references to G.Fast in my area have simply vanished, though there was only one and that was on the DSL checker for a short period of time.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 11:39:57 PM »

Openreach told me via email. My DSL Checker for G.Fast also disappear!

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 03:49:56 AM »

Now if only I knew which email address. :wry: I tried with their fibre enquires form before without success as they just told me to conact my ISP.

To be honest, I would rather they did a U-turn with G.Fast or at least deploy it much closer to the premises to utilise it to its full potential (as many people have mentioned before on various websites). Though I imagine it would disappoint ISPs that have already invested in G.Fast if the rollout was ceased, so the former is perhaps less preferable in that respect.

VDSL 35b profile would surely be a lot better economically compared to G.Fast? Of course, I could be very wrong as nodes in the network may also need to be upgraded to support the higher throughput on the network. And there is also the issue of support for the technology (perhaps new line cards would be required, and CPE provided by ISPs may not support it). Still, its headline speeds are not too far off the presently available higher speed G.Fast product (330/50 Mbps) in terms of downstream at least; I would imagine 200-250 Mbps would be very possible on shorter loops (though I cannot see upstream exceeding 30-40 Mbps much), but this speed would be better sustained over a longer distance (should be faster than G.Fast beyond 300 meters) and should give a nice speed bump over 17b until around 500-600 meters (depending on wire gauge). 35b should cover more premises with higher speeds, and G.Fast (with current topology) won't be comparable in that respect until either:
  • A: G.Fast and existing DSL technologies can co-exist with some overlap with minimal disruption (as current rollouts are using 20-106 MHz profile)
  • B: Existing DSL technologies are switched off to allow for a greater frequency range to be used (2-106 MHz should give another ~100-150 meters max.)
A would be less preferable from a performance/range standpoint (since it will still be restricted to a degreed) compared to B, but more preferable for use with existing technologies. B is the only true option to give G.Fast a range similar to VDSL 17b/35b (with current topology), but provide large gains for those a bit closer. But we all know the latter cannot happen or at least not in the near future.

In any case, FTTP would certainly be better. :D
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)