Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

Modems now wall-mounted

<< < (2/2)

burakkucat:
Thank you. That looks quite neat. :)

chenks:
the trailing ethernet and power cable would trigger my OCD.
i'd have them neatly tacked to the wall or trunking installed.

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: Weaver on July 14, 2018, 12:01:36 PM ---See pic, as promised.

I used ethernet cables out of my usual patch cable box that were Cat6A and very stiff, thick. I should have perhaps used some that are a bit more flexible.

--- End quote ---

Is there any advantage in Cat 6A over basic Cat 5 or, if needs be, Cat 5e?

I have never used anything other than 5 or 5e for patch cables, whichever are available as good brands at good price, and never had any problems.  Nice and flexible, in-obtrusive, and everything that’s capable of gigabit works at gigabit.  Retransmission counters invariably zero even after weeks or months, as long as connected equipment is healthy.

Of course, if the cable run is very long or if you want 10Gbps, that would be different...

Weaver:
Is there any advantage? No, definitely not in this case, these are just what I had in stock. These cables are very stiff and awkward to use. It is probably not even gigabit physical layer ethernet protocol in use in this particular case, could be mere 100Mb for all I know.

I always buy cat6a cables in case I need to end up lying next to any mains, but in this case there is not much chance, I don't think, as they are short and have been run carefully. I decided ages ago to only ever buy the highest spec cables I could get so that I do not end up with a stock of inferior cables that presents a nuisance if at some point I should ever finally able to get a 10G switch. That looks really unlikely now anyway, as it does not look as if I will be getting any kit with a 10G copper NIC in it. I suspect if I ever had any kit capable of high speeds it would be optical anyway. Some high end WAPs that I have seen have two 1G copper ethernet NICs in them.

banger:
VMG-1312-B10A LAN ports are 100m as can be seen in the Status GUI page. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version