Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tinkering - grounding spare incoming pair  (Read 1453 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Tinkering - grounding spare incoming pair
« on: July 12, 2018, 12:44:35 PM »

This morning I moved the master socket slightly - the Openreach engineer had screwed it to the skirting board, but this made it stick out too much and get in the way of some new blinds I put up the other day, so I disconnected it all and moved it up a few inches onto the wall instead - now the blinds open and close without problem.

While I was disconnecting it, I noticed a 2nd pair on the incoming cable, and vaugely recall discussion on here as to merits (or otherwise) of grounding them to act as a sort of screen, or perhaps to attenuate any ability of this spare pair becoming an aerial.  My incoming cable runs a reasonable distance from a pole.

I checked with a meter that the spare pair wasn't connected to anything - no circuit or voltage across the pair, no voltage or current from either wire to ground.

I stripped the ends of the wires, twisted them together, and twisted on a 3rd wire which I connected to ground.

The result :

Nothing, really.  It all still works, but no speed increase.  There's possibly a slight reduction in CRC and FEC error count, but...

Oh well.  I'll carry on waiting for fibre....  :'(

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Tinkering - grounding spare incoming pair
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 06:49:42 PM »

I'm sure if I searched hard enough I would find other posts on the subject of grounding the unused pair in a two-pair aerial drop cable. I also believe that Walter considered grounding the three steel centenary wires that are also present in such a drop cable. The more I think about it, the more certain I am that a similar discussion took place with respect to nearby atmospheric electrical discharges (a.k.a. lightening).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 11:07:18 PM »

Yes, I'm remembering bits of that now.  And I've just realised I left the ground wire in place, I'd better disconnect it since it's achieving nothing but might make lightning strikes a bit more likely.

Ian

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 02:16:17 AM »

I do wonder if it might work for me as I have a more sensitive test case. I however already, approximately, have a really bad test case, in that one of my drop cables has both pairs in use and the other drop cable has a noise pickup receiver unused pair.

However, the last thing I would want is to increase the risk of lightning damage still further. How is that ?

anything