Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach Pick Huawei and Nokia Kit for UK FTTP Broadband Rollout  (Read 2262 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/07/openreach-pick-huawei-and-nokia-kit-for-uk-fttp-broadband-rollout.html

Openreach (BT) has today unsurprisingly announced that Huawei and Nokia have been awarded key contracts to deliver the new electronics (headend) that will support their on-going “Fibre First” project, which aims to roll-out 1Gbps capable Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) broadband to 3 million UK premises by the end of 2020.

The network operator has a strong history of working with both companies, particularly Huawei (e.g. heavily used for both VDSL2 / FTTC and now G.fast), and as such today’s announcement won’t come as much of a surprise. As for the FTTP side of things, exchange based headend equipment (explained at the end of this article) from Huawei is already being used and Nokia is expected to start installing their own similar kit from July 2019.

Diversifying your supply chain like this is a fairly common practice, as opposed to the risks of sticking all your eggs into one basket. We should add that a lot of the kit being played with as part of EE’s (BT) future deployment of 5G Mobile technology also comes from Huawei and they’ve already picked Nokia’s new ReefShark chipsets to support that side of things.

Peter Bell, Openreach CTO & NGA Operations Director, said:

“We’ll be going flat out to make FTTP available to three million homes by the end of 2020, and we want to reach 10 million by the mid-2020s, so using cutting-edge technology will be integral to achieving that. Britons consume more than double the amount of data they did just three years ago and whilst we’re already a leading digital economy, Openreach continues to invest in network upgrades to make sure we can repeat that success and keep well ahead of demand.”

Jeffrey Zhou, President of Huawei Access network, said:

“As a long-term strategic partner of Openreach, we look forward to continuing our work with the fibre and network delivery team. We welcome the opportunity to help build a better, faster and intelligent network that helps Openreach customers stay connected. Huawei is committed to building a better connected UK.”

Frederic Guillén, President of Nokia Fixed Networks, added:

“We’re excited about this new five-year collaboration with Openreach and are confident that our innovation, strength and operational expertise will benefit all broadband subscribers in the UK.”

This is some good news at last about FTTP and OR's rollout. I've been wondering about what is happening in another place.

It is good that Nokia are getting involved. But by omission does this mean that OR acknowledge that going with ECI on cabinet rollout was a mistake? Also, does this mean that any ECI problems with be downgraded? I hope ECI people get given the opportunity to experience speed upgrades early on in the rollout as on average we've never fully experienced top FTTC speeds.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Re: Openreach Pick Huawei and Nokia Kit for UK FTTP Broadband Rollout
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 12:46:29 PM »

I suspect ECI cab users (me included) will get no special treatment.  I wonder how the current rollout of BT FTTP overlaying FTTC cabinet type looks like?

FTTP rollout will more than likely focus on high density areas where digging one trench may easily connect multiple end users - ie flats, high rises etc.

I would like to take Nokia up on their offer though of helping all users.  If they sell a FTTC cabinet please come and replace my ECI cab as I suspect this will be the only way they can help me within a 5 year period - assuming their cabinet actually works and supports Ginp and 3db targets.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 12:49:17 PM by ktz392837 »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 01:21:15 PM »

It is good that Nokia are getting involved. But by omission does this mean that OR acknowledge that going with ECI on cabinet rollout was a mistake? Also, does this mean that any ECI problems with be downgraded? I hope ECI people get given the opportunity to experience speed upgrades early on in the rollout as on average we've never fully experienced top FTTC speeds.

The FTTC project and this FTTP project are absolutely nothing to do with each other and ECI areas aren't going to be given priority because they're served by ECI cabinets. Those of us a little way from our cabinet have also on average never fully experienced top FTTC speeds but Openreach aren't going to be making a beeline to any particular area on those grounds.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 01:24:45 PM »

I suspect ECI cab users (me included) will get no special treatment.  I wonder how the current rollout of BT FTTP overlaying FTTC cabinet type looks like?

FTTP rollout will more than likely focus on high density areas where digging one trench may easily connect multiple end users - ie flats, high rises etc.

Correct on all counts. ECI cabinet users will get no special treatment. Also correct on where FTTP rollout will take place. Where there's the most value to be gained from spending the money and that pass value for money tests - regardless of FTTC cabinet type.

Still great to see an announcement on FTTP vendor get utterly waylaid by ECI cabinet complaints  :D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 01:39:19 PM »

I did say good news on an FTTP announcement! :)

There is also going to be a government review coming out soon called "Future Telecoms Infrastructure Review" which should be interesting to read in full.

I think if all these aspirations are to be true on FTTP deployment then over the next couple of years we should hopefully see a lot more FTTP news as it becomes available to more and more people.

I might be wrong in this but aren't Nokia something to do with the G.fast pods? Or am I mistaken?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 02:25:25 PM »

Still great to see an announcement on FTTP vendor get utterly waylaid by ECI cabinet complaints  :D

Yep - I have to have my monthly moan about the ECI cabs somehow ;)

It was mainly a dig at Nokia's response on how they are going to help all of the UK users.

Those of us a little way from our cabinet have also on average never fully experienced top FTTC speeds but Openreach aren't going to be making a beeline to any particular area on those grounds
I can't resist -  the main point regarding the ECI cabs is you can't change the law of physics (ie. distance from cab further away means slower) but you can damn well ensure that the cabinets you use should at least offer the same functionality as other cabinets. 

After all it is not like it is cheaper if you are on an ECI cab.  The only criteria when signing up for FTTC is line conditions and distance at no point does it say if you're on the inferior hardware it will worse.

The majority of ECI cab users are all generally loosing out on a decent percentage chunk of speed due to Ginp and 3db not being available it has nothing the do with distance.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 02:36:48 PM by ktz392837 »

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 02:58:08 PM »

I can't resist -  the main point regarding the ECI cabs is you can't change the law of physics (ie. distance from cab further away means slower) but you can damn well ensure that the cabinets you use should at least offer the same functionality as other cabinets. 

*cough* and they scrapped the roll out of vectoring *cough*

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 03:45:43 PM »

I was going mention that, the majority of Huawei users also get a bum deal, as some BDUK Huawei cabs have vectoring, which can give big gains. That makes 3 tiers of cabinet, vectored Huawei, non vectored Huawei and lowly ECI.

Anyway great news on the FTTP front, we will get there and it is going to take years.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 04:02:38 PM »

Not really. It was never planned. They did a couple for BDUK and people seemed to assume they were embarking on a mass rollout. That was never on the cards as far as I'm aware. The only use for vectoring, ever, was to increase reach to hit BDUK targets.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 04:05:49 PM »

There is a big difference though between a couple of Huawai cabs with vectoring and the (tens) thousands of ECI cabs without Ginp/3db. 

It is like saying there is a 4th tier - the couple of ECI cabs with Ginp as it was never removed properly when the rollout was cancelled and reversed 2 years ago.  This is what makes the ECI cab even more infuriating Ginp actually works.

No more replies from me as you can tell this triggers me ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:12:08 PM by ktz392837 »

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 05:25:40 PM »

The only use for vectoring, ever, was to increase reach to hit BDUK targets.

So whats the main complaint with FTTC everywhere? Distance and crosstalk... what could help I wonder?

Would be great if the pricing structure of BTw created incentives for improving the low end of the spectrum connections in the same way as BDUK targets have.

But no, "Hey target customer in built up area! We are pleased to offer you new G.fast/FTTP/spaceship, forget your pathetic 80/20 connection and ignore the readily available hybrid fibre-coax, this is new!"

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 06:07:19 PM »

So whats the main complaint with FTTC everywhere? Distance and crosstalk... what could help I wonder?

Exactly. Unless there is licensing costs involved, I don't see any reason to not enable vectoring on all supported cabs, other than a cynical ploy to promote the "new shiny". And maybe "unlock" the profile or something at let people use higher than 80/20 speeds (up to attainable).
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 07:23:08 PM »

I might be wrong in this but aren't Nokia something to do with the G.fast pods? Or am I mistaken?

You are neither wrong nor mistaken. Both Huawei and Nokia are providers of active electronics that can be found residing in "G.Fast pods".  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything