Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: UK Ranked 35 out of 200 Countries for Average Broadband ISP Speed  (Read 4360 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: UK Ranked 35 out of 200 Countries for Average Broadband ISP Speed
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 06:58:02 PM »

If memory serves and the situation is still the same .... our very own B*Cat is still on an ADSL connection .... by choice.

Thar's nowt wrong with thy memory, B*Sheep:D

I can do all that I need with a G.992.3 (ADSL2) based connection. The primary cross-connect point (EABSE P28), fitted with a G.Fast pod, and its Huawei MA5603T equipped "fibre twin" cabinet are about 391 metres away.

When my neighbour first took the original "BT Infinity" service (G.993.2, Profile 8a) I was invited in to "check it out". Needless to say, I attached a TDR to the pair and measured the (electrical) length to the low-pass filter in the "fibre twin" cabinet. The circuit lengths, from our respective NTE5/As to DP1023 are equal (+/- one metre). (I've just checked some notes in my "what not" and see that I have approx. 384 metres recorded as the distance from my NTE5/A to the primary cross-connection point.) If anyone should feel inclined to check the circuit length from DP1023 to P28 (EABSE) in the network records, it would be interesting to compare with my figures . . .  ;)

If I look up the service availability, to those properties at the northern end of the road, G.Fast is mentioned. The Cattery is at the southern end of the road, so no G.Fast is shown as available to me and my immediate neighbours.

One day, maybe, G.Fast will be available from the pole top, at DP1023. Then I may consider such a service.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 08:27:20 PM »

We probably don't hear much from the large group of people still on ADSL despite something faster being available, perhaps because they aren't that bothered about their speed. That doesn't mean this group doesn't exist.
True, and as long as they are satisfied, fine, until a macro decision has to be made the telephone and data transmission infrastructure.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 07:35:12 AM »

Hmmmm, I never knew that !!

Info I have just read states that the 'speed table' compiled by #whoever, only report the 'ordered speeds' by EU's ..... not the 'available speeds'.

Often omitted is the fact that higher speeds are actually available.

I suppose it's the same for all the countries mentioned, so may not alter the current UK's standing ??.
Pages: 1 [2]