Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Netflix SmartDNS/proxy test  (Read 1244 times)

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
Netflix SmartDNS/proxy test
« on: July 09, 2018, 12:50:26 PM »

Hi

I was wondering if folks could carry out the test below on a high speed FTTC/FTTP connection and post back the results as unblock.us refuse to admit there is a potential issue with their service. Until recently unblock.us has worked flawlessly for me and I have been able to watch Netflix from most regions of the world using their smartDNS service, however in the last week or two, Netflix starts buffering a lot when connected to their DNS. On my 300 Mbps FTTP line, doing a test on Netflix's speedtest server (fast.com) with SmartDNS switched on only gives me a 0.5 Mbps or so...yet without SmartDNS it gives me > 250 Mbps.

1) Go to fast.com to measure your speed to Netflix's servers - make a note of this.

2) Go to unblock.us and sign up for a 14 day free trial. No payment details are required and use a temporary email address such as temp-mail.org if required.

3) Once your IP address has been registered on unblock.us, change the DNS on your router or PC to 64.145.73.5 & 209.107.219.5. Visit unblock.us to get confirmation that you are using their SmartDNS service.

4) Again go to fast.com to measure your speed to Netflix's servers - make a note of this.

5) Change the DNS settings on your router/PC back to their original state.

Please post your speed test results with SmartDNS switched off and on (step 1 and step 4 respectively)

Many thanks!