Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Community in Conflict After Removal of Openreach Broadband Cabinet  (Read 4620 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Community in Conflict After Removal of Openreach Broadband Cabinet
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 08:59:05 PM »

So it got removed not just moved to another nearby spot?

The whole situation seems so silly and overblown, the sign is a movable sign, they simply had to move the sign.

Icaraa

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 09:45:28 AM »

I think for simplicity Openreach could have just offered to pay to move the sign. I they’re probably actually in the right but it would have resolved the situation quickly.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 10:43:48 AM »

No I don't believe it got moved to another nearby spot.      Directly behind the PCP is a footbridge over the river so nothing can come that from that way.

There's a few other cabs in the area, the nearest is an ECI.   It could be like here, where there is about 7 PCPs all within a few hundred meters.   
I looked it up on Magenta last week and the cab is showing as N/A for FTTC, from memory it was PCP 35 or 36 and definitely not EO as you can see the PCP in the earlier photo.   The fact the guy in the report says it is quite close to the exchange, which could also be another reason why there is a lot of cabs in that area - like here then they then branch out in different directions away from the exchange.

I can't understand why the sign couldnt have been moved slightly to the right or left.   You would think Openreach would have at least offered to move it, but that then depends upon the Church's agreement.     In the past Openreach have tried to be accommodating when residents get stroppy about the FTTC cabs.  They have sprayed them different colours to try blend in and didn't they even once have one cab painted to look like brickwork.     How much does it cost to move a sign compared to re-digging up a cab?     The Church wont comment. When I looked last week there was an unsubstantiated report of a few thousand complaints, which I found a bit odd and made me wonder how many of those belonged to members of the 'church'. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 12:21:23 PM »

Kitz, had you got as far as this one?
https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/local-hubs/shrewsbury/2018/07/11/ongoing-row-over-broadband-cabinet/

Sorry over raising the EO misdirection. :-[

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 09:54:39 AM »

Ah, no thanks.  I'd not looked since last week when they said there had been no comment from the Church.
Still seems rather strange that Openreach would dig up the FTTC cab without exploring other options

Even if the sign couldn't be moved, surely there are signs which can be opened from the back

"However, putting the box in front of our notice board was apparently a quick decision made when it wouldn't fit in the intended location.
It was impossible for us to reach the board safely to change the contents.

I wonder if Openreach would consider this option, and what the legal implications could be. 

"We offered a piece of our land rent free and without restrictions for the re-siting of the box, but this offer was not taken up."

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 01:46:55 PM »

I don't think the offer would have been refused outright without reason.
"Without restrictions" seems ideal, but may it be so only superficially? Does "without restrictions" apply to both parties, so that the church could rescind their decision sometime in the future?

I'm thinking BT would want a wayleave agreement for legal safety. Could the church have been unwilling to comply?

Thinking, there's a bit of economy with the actualite.

OT (slightly) I get impression form CodeLook mappings of PCP to Postcode, there's a lot of overlap and muddle.

OT (less slightly) Can a fibre box ever serve 2 PCPs?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2018, 01:59:49 PM »

OT (less slightly) Can a fibre box ever serve 2 PCPs?

No reason why not, after all its just a tie cable to and from the Fibre cabinet to the PCP to access the DSLAMs that is involved, the D sides of the cabinets aren't changed.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 03:20:49 PM »

Thanks! I was thinking on those lines, when I posted a map of the route from exchange to cab 35 to cab 23, and taking the muddle of PCPs that side of the river made me question the possibility even more.
Pages: 1 [2]