Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A - Bridge mode  (Read 3908 times)

machare

Zyxel VMG8924-B10A - Bridge mode
« on: July 15, 2018, 10:53:39 AM »

I would like to try my VMG8924-B10A in bridge mode.

I went to Network Settings/Broadband/Add new WAN Interface  and added a new connection with a mode of bridge, Vlan active, 102.1p = 0, 102.1q=101.

I made this connection active and disabled the normal VDSL connection. 

Is that all I should have done?

Should I then be able to connect to the internet from my W10 laptop using Wifi? The laptop lacks a wired ethernet port.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A - Bridge mode
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 01:52:36 PM »

I am not sure what you mean by bridge mode ? What do you understand it to mean? Need you to help me understand :-)

I have heard the term used when it means 'straight modem-only mode' and with a modem-router, the device stops being a router and becomes a straight modem, and needs to be connected to a router via an ethernet cable. The router then performs routing, firewalling, NAT, possibly is a wireless access point too, and does a host of other things. The modem is now just that, it just makes a link between the router and the dsl internet connection but is otherwise completely dumb.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:56:37 PM by Weaver »

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 02:03:14 PM »

bridge mode means you have a router behind the modem. If you don't have a seperate router you won't be able to run the zyxel in "bridge" mode.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 02:16:41 PM »

skyeci and I are on the same page then.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 03:32:07 PM »

One router function you didn't mention is that it also handles the PPP negotiation when the modem is in true bridge mode. You can also get modems which include the PPP negotiation, leaving the router to do everything else, but this isn't bridge mode.
  Eric

machare

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »

I am not sure what you mean by bridge mode ? What do you understand it to mean? Need you to help me understand :-)

I have heard the term used when it means 'straight modem-only mode' and with a modem-router, the device stops being a router and becomes a straight modem, and needs to be connected to a router via an ethernet cable. The router then performs routing, firewalling, NAT, possibly is a wireless access point too, and does a host of other things. The modem is now just that, it just makes a link between the router and the dsl internet connection but is otherwise completely dumb.

Yes that is what I meant. I want the box just to work as a modem so that I can have a separate router connected to it down stream.    The router is an ISP supplied Vodafone Connect router.  My setup does not quite work. The green light on the Vodafone router comes on but flashes rather than staying solid.

I also tried unsuccessfully to use a W10 laptop connecting to the Zyxel by Wifi. The laptop does have have an ethernet port.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 06:16:24 PM »

sounds like you need a seperate router and you need to ask vodafone for your username and password. If the supplied router is an all in one device it's not likely to work alongside a modem hence you needing your own router alongside your bridge modem..

machare

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 08:10:45 PM »

If the supplied router is an all in one device it's not likely to work alongside a modem hence you needing your own router alongside your bridge modem..

So you might think but apparently it does! http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/t/4592926-re-some-questions-about-the-drytek-130.html

Strangely you don't have to change the Vodafone router's configuration. It appears to try to use the Wan ethernet port if that is all that is available when it is powered on.

And after setting Vlan 802.1p = 2,  I now have the setup working.  I also found that without the Vodafone router, I could establish a PPPoE session from my W10 laptop to the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A using Wifi.  Normally I use the Zyxel in router mode, not bridge mode. I have to set a 802.1p parameter, values of both 1 and 2 work!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 04:39:20 PM by machare »

anything