Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ECI Cabs not all bad news.  (Read 1077 times)

Jon21

Re: ECI Cabs not all bad news.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 02:01:33 PM »

I've applied a -30 offset which has given a 3db margin. Gone from 62.7 to 71.6Mb sync. Will have to keep an eye on the ES but they seem similar to a 6db margin at the moment.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 02:32:46 PM »

Just to note, be careful of adjusting the SNRM offset by too much in one go. I believe it can encourage DLM to apply banding if it detects a significant change in SNRM in a certain timeframe. One of the patents mentioned an SNRM variation of 4 dB, which I think is a good guide to go with I believe. My advice is to avoid adjusting it by more than +/- 3 dB in 24 hours, unless you have a somewhat varying SNRM in which case be more cautious.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 10:34:21 PM »

I wouldn't worry about that in the slightest.
I've seen dozens of lines on mdws that varied by 10dB+ all day long and never seen DLM act on this.

I've applied caps on my line making the SNRM jump from 3dB to 20dB and back again many times without problem. As long as MTBR isn't breached.

I've seen many screenshots of DLM caution counters, never seen anything SNRM related.

I'd be surprised if DLM even recorded the current SNRM.
BT FTTC 55/10 ECI now Huawei cab
Zyxel VMG1312-B10A bridge mode with 1508 MTU + Asus RT-AC68U running Asuswrt-Merlin

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 10:46:02 PM »

There's a lot we don't know about DLM to be fair. For example, my connection was recently banded after experiencing a few re-syncs in a short timeframe and what must've been a fairly significant SNR variation during those re-syncs. ES/SES were well under the threshold. The number of retrains should've also been under the threshold but I guess there was something DLM didn't like. It's possible that DLM ignores SNR variation while the connection is 'SHOWTIME' but if it changes between re-syncs then it might factor that in.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:48:13 PM by Ixel »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything