Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ECI Cabs not all bad news.  (Read 6116 times)

Jon21

• Reg Member
Re: ECI Cabs not all bad news.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 02:01:33 PM »

I've applied a -30 offset which has given a 3db margin. Gone from 62.7 to 71.6Mb sync. Will have to keep an eye on the ES but they seem similar to a 6db margin at the moment.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 02:32:46 PM »

Just to note, be careful of adjusting the SNRM offset by too much in one go. I believe it can encourage DLM to apply banding if it detects a significant change in SNRM in a certain timeframe. One of the patents mentioned an SNRM variation of 4 dB, which I think is a good guide to go with I believe. My advice is to avoid adjusting it by more than +/- 3 dB in 24 hours, unless you have a somewhat varying SNRM in which case be more cautious.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 10:34:21 PM »

I wouldn't worry about that in the slightest.
I've seen dozens of lines on mdws that varied by 10dB+ all day long and never seen DLM act on this.

I've applied caps on my line making the SNRM jump from 3dB to 20dB and back again many times without problem. As long as MTBR isn't breached.

I've seen many screenshots of DLM caution counters, never seen anything SNRM related.

I'd be surprised if DLM even recorded the current SNRM.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 10:46:02 PM »

There's a lot we don't know about DLM to be fair. For example, my connection was recently banded after experiencing a few re-syncs in a short timeframe and what must've been a fairly significant SNR variation during those re-syncs. ES/SES were well under the threshold. The number of retrains should've also been under the threshold but I guess there was something DLM didn't like. It's possible that DLM ignores SNR variation while the connection is 'SHOWTIME' but if it changes between re-syncs then it might factor that in.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:48:13 PM by Ixel »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 04:06:22 PM »

I was just looking on an FTTP thread in another place and noticed we ECI people might be still at a disadvantage when we finally get FTTP deployed.

They were commenting about the higher FTTP speeds on the dsl checker showing up, and Paul said that his checker was still only showing 300 down 50 up. Then someone else responded that might be because he's on an ECI FTTP deployment "That's all it will ever go to for the foreseeable!".

Later in the thread, j0hn83 said;
OpenReach used both the same vendors for the FTTP kit, both OLT's at the exchange and ONT's in customer premises.

They also have ECI/Huawei L2S's
ECI L2S can only do 1Gb GEA Cablelinks but the Huawei L2S can have 10Gb GEA cablelinks.

This is why some only see 330/50.

Almost every piece of ECI kit is inferior to the Huawei kit or it has an issue being upgraded on some way. It's not just the FTTC DSLAMs that are useless.

edit: to add, I'm sure there's also an issue where ECI OLT/ONT's can't do fva

I guess the question is, how big of a job would OR have to do to allow ECI FTTP people to be able to get above 330/50 ?

I wonder what the actual contract OR have with ECI states. Because nearly every upgrade that OR as attempted with ECI as failed, or OR aren't confident of rolling it out across the network. I would have thought OR would have had printed about future proof upgrades.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 11:53:43 PM »

For info I was replying to...

Thought ECI and Huawei brands only applied to the FTTC cabinets, not FTTP deployments. I got the impression that the 1Gbps rollout was a gradual one

My answer was really for those currently on FTTP and connected to the ECI exchange equipment in question.
It doesn't affect those currently getting FTTC on an ECI cabinet.

Openreach recently picked Nokia and Huawei to provide future FTTP equipment.
If FTTP gets rolled out to those currently on ECI FTTC then it would be on Nokia or Huawei FTTP equipment at the exchange.

Linky
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 04:06:18 PM »

When I saw this I thought what the hell and went and bought some Vigor 2760s.

Managed to get my line up from 68 to 78 with a offset of -30.

Even managed to get my rubbish Sky line from 51 to 62, had to bridge mode that one DCHP stuff is too complex for me.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:25:55 PM by S.Stephenson »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 05:49:24 PM »

As long the errored seconds don't become excessive then it's great. Some lines will cope, some won't.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2018, 03:52:21 PM »

I've applied a -30 offset which has given a 3db margin. Gone from 62.7 to 71.6Mb sync. Will have to keep an eye on the ES but they seem similar to a 6db margin at the moment.

Noticed that both downstream and upstream attainable had increased on Tuesday so resynced and got a small increase in sync rate. Downstream attenuation has also dropped from 20 to 19dB, not sure why as nothing has changed as far as I know. Also noticed that FE ES count doesn't seem to reset even after leaving the modem off for a bit.

---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
   Running Mode            :      17A       State                : SHOWTIME
   DS Actual Rate          : 73505000 bps   US Actual Rate       : 15979000 bps
   DS Attainable Rate      : 72336168 bps   US Attainable Rate   : 15714006 bps
   DS Path Mode            :        Fast    US Path Mode         :        Fast
   DS Interleave Depth     :        1       US Interleave Depth  :        1
   NE Current Attenuation  :       19 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :        3  dB
   DS actual PSD           :     6. 7 dB    US actual PSD        :    14. 2  dB
   NE CRC Count            :      684       FE CRC Count         :     3040
   NE ES Count             :      470       FE  ES Count         :     2881
   Xdsl Reset Times        :        0       Xdsl Link  Times     :        1
   ITU Version[0]          : b5004946       ITU Version[1]       : 544e0000
   VDSL Firmware Version   : 05-07-06-0D-01-07   [with Vectoring support]
   Power Management Mode   : DSL_G997_PMS_L0
   Test Mode               : DISABLE
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
   Far Current Attenuation :       27 dB    Far SNR Margin       :        6  dB
   CO ITU Version[0]       : b5004946       CO ITU Version[1]    : 544ed086
   DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < IFTN >

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2018, 04:35:52 PM »

Downstream attenuation has also dropped from 20 to 19dB, not sure why as nothing has changed as far as I know.
I could swear my line in summer (hotter) has a higher attenuation than winter (colder).  When we had weeks of hot weather my attenuation was 0.2db higher than it is now.  When winter comes I suspect my attenuation will drop another 0.2-0.4db if past years are anything to go on.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2018, 08:21:32 AM »

I could swear my line in summer (hotter) has a higher attenuation than winter (colder).  When we had weeks of hot weather my attenuation was 0.2db higher than it is now.  When winter comes I suspect my attenuation will drop another 0.2-0.4db if past years are anything to go on.

I can attest to this too - during the winter months over previous years, if there had been a powercut - my modem would often come back at 79999 and stay there for 1/2 months and even resync at that with no problems.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox
Pages: 1 [2]

anything