Computers & Hardware > Networking

New standard needed for PPPoEoE modems

<< < (2/3) > >>

niemand:
Regarding Internet access modems are routers in bridge mode. If Internet access is required an additional VLAN can be configured, however there is no need to provide modems access to the public Internet. There is no need to upload logs remotely and time and firmware upgrades can be handled on-net.

Modems have been around for a really long time so requirements are fairly clear and everything needed is provided for. We should be moving away from this complexity and having engineering effort put into just making things work, not providing unnecessary and attack surface increasing services.

As fibre to the premises becomes more widely available this will get better, the ideal being a simple Ethernet presentation. Both PON and P2P solutions provide this with no statistics to monitor or be concerned by.

Weaver:
What ignitionnet said about ‘there is no need’, translates as he ‘has no need’. :-)

I have functions that are just broken because of the difficulty of setting things up for my modems. Lack of NTP being one example, somthe clicks are wrong in all the modems.

I should not have said public internet access, just access to anything, including the main LAN is a right pain with things as they are, and so if you think that logging and admin will not be conducted over the public internet (I do not see why not, in a large setup, the admins could be elsewhere geographically) then there still is the issue of how boxes in the main lan are to query the modems and how the modems are to reply.

Security is not a valid point. We need to secure everything we provide, that argument is completely general and there is nothing that disqualifies the current use case.

nallar:
I have NTP working on an HG612 as a modem. Shouldn't be any need for a new standard...

You need an NTP server running on the router and listening on the interface connected to the modem, and a static IP for the router on that interface.

https://imgur.com/a/KLdzhGA

edit: If you don't want to run a local NTP server, it may also be possible to add a static route on the HG612 back to the router for a remote NTP server. The router would then send this through the PPPoE link to the remote NTP server. Haven't tried this as running a local NTP server is best practice to reduce the number of NTP requests made by devices on your network.

chenks:
i got my zyxel running in bridge mode to connect to the NTP using a static route.

j0hn:
I posted my working NTP solution for the VMG1312-B10A in the recent thread asking how to get it working.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version