Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Need Help Getting DSLStats Runnig Thru Synology RT1900ac To Billion 8800 Modem  (Read 2384 times)

Korben_dallas

Hi,

I needed to replace the HG612 and opted for a Billion 8800NL R2 talking in turn to my Synology RT1900AC Router which is running in Bridge Mode.

However I cant connect directly through the LAN to the Billion Modem,  I have been looking on the Net and came across some articles not specific to my situation but none worked.

As I understand it it looks like I need to utilise the 2nd interface capability on the Synology through LAN port 1, however I cant seem to find exactly what I need to do and what I need to do on the Modem.

On contacting both manufacturer's support desk they both say refer to the other manufacturer.

Does anyone how I can get this to work or where I could find out I can.

Cheers

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

I needed to replace the HG612 and opted for a Billion 8800NL R2 talking in turn to my Synology RT1900AC Router which is running in Bridge Mode.

Your initial, opening, sentence implies some confusion. I read it as --
  • previously you were using a Huawei HG612 as a bridging modem, which was connected to a Synology RT1900AC router
  • now you are attempting to use a Billion 8800NL R2 as a bridging modem, which is connected to the same Synology RT1900AC router
If what I have typed is correct, then you should not need to make any configuration adjustments to the RT1900AC. The Billion 8800NL R2 should be changed from its default of operating as a modem/router/do-everything-device to that of a pure modem bridge.

Assuming that is correct, is the two box set-up working correctly? Do you have a working connection to the Internet?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen

Can I ask why you opted for that modem?
The BCM xDSL chipset inside is pretty poor performing. Not so important if you get the full sync of your package but if you don't the older R1 model would have given a much higher sync.

For your issue, you can't just swap the HG612 for the Billion. The Billion will need configuration changes. Your router should be left as it was with the HG612.

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=17915.0
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Korben_dallas

Hi burakkucat,

Apologies for any confusion.

My set-up is as folloes :
Modem - Billion 8800NL R2
Router - Synology RT1900AC (Bridge Mode)
Access Point - ASUS RT-AC87U

If I connect in the modem from one of its LAN ports into the Network then the Router sees a loopback situation as the modem is on the same range and subnet.

Cheers

Korben_dallas

Hi John,

My HG612 died and i was advised at cost the ISP would supply a combined modem/router which i didnt want as i prefer the flexibility of a separate modem and router.

As to the Billion 8800NL R2 this was recommended by a friend.

Cheers

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Modem - Billion 8800NL R2
Router - Synology RT1900AC (Bridge Mode)
Access Point - ASUS RT-AC87U

Thank you. (Though I still have some difficulty in understanding how a router can be in "bridge mode".)

If I connect in the modem from one of its LAN ports into the Network then the Router sees a loopback situation as the modem is on the same range and subnet.

Understood.  :(

Assuming that the Billion 8800NL has been configured to have the same IPv4 address as the deceased Huawei HG612 previously had (192.168.1.1) and the configuration of the Synology RT1900AC has been left exactly as it was when the HG612 was being used then it points to a problem with configuration of the Billion 8800NL.

As I have no experience (or knowledge) of a Billion 8800NL, I need to step back and let someone else assist you. I'm sure that there is someone out there . . .  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything