Chat > Chit Chat

Debate in parliament about ME

(1/2) > >>

Weaver:
Janet says there was a debate in the commons or is going to be one about the subject of ME. (Not sure what the difference between ME and CFS is).

I might try and find it on the web somewhere.

One other new thing - Janet tells me that she heard that light phobia is one characteristic symptom of ME. I always have the room as dark as possible at all times.

banger:
Maybe I have ME as I can't stand sunlight and keep blinds/curtains closed during the day. I always thought it was due to cataracts which I am having one eye corrected with surgery on 4 July. Must remember sunglasses.

renluop:
One of our grandchildren got it shortly after starting her A-Levels with good prospects, having received straight A*s @ GCSE. She has changed from a fit active (dancing and the like) person to one needing a wheel chair when going out with the family.

@banger Maybe you need a few more symptoms? :)

Weaver:
There is a list of about ten things - roughly, from memory - and you have to have k out of n things up with you.

The most important one is delayed fatigue after some kind of muscle strain or physical exercise or exterior or mental exertion. The classic pattern is for malaise and fatigue, intense tiredness and almost flu-like gritty feelings to kick in so many hours after serious physical or mental exertion. I first noticed something odd when I did a long drive down go England and then felt horrible, completely washed out about 20-30 hours later. I thought it odd that I felt wrecked later rather than immediately after doing such a drive.

kitz:
There's a transcript of the debate here.   It's rather long (~3hrs worth) so I haven't read it all.
https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2018-06-21/debates/A49A6117-B23B-4E35-A83B-49FEF0D6074F/METreatmentAndResearch?highlight=myalgic%20encephalomyelitis#contribution-EDC65069-BC4C-4DA1-A913-F4C32C9B815B

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version