Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: G.fast - first mile latency?  (Read 8533 times)

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: G.fast - first mile latency?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 02:02:23 PM »

Excuse my extreme ignorance, but why does everyone here think OFCOM and LLU provisioning is the boogieman? Back in 2006 or so where I was living it was either 8mbit ADSL 'max' from BT or blazing fast 24mbit from your choice of several LLU providers... I guess things have moved faster than OFCOMs regulations could keep up, but where would be now without that competition back then? Would the 21CN roll out have happened when it did, or would BT have been happy still collect what ever they chose to charge for adsl max for as long as possible?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 02:13:37 PM »

The problem is the likes of Talktalk cry and moan that Openreach don't deploy enough full fibre (even though they refuse to sell it where it does exist).
Openreach say we want to deploy more fibre but we need to retire the copper network to make the necessary savings.

The LLU providers won't allow Openreach to remove the copper as they wish to sweat their copper assets (they've spent a fortune on their ADSL2/2+ MSAN's over the years).

OFCOM don't do much about anything. They agree Openreach need to deploy more fibre but won't help with removal of copper.

I'm sure if Openreach were allowed to remove copper as they installed FTTP then we would see more whole areas going that way
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 02:19:12 PM »

Again an ill informed and ignorant person asking, but why does fibre roll out require the removal of copper? Its not like the ducts are too full to push fibre through them.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »

I totally get what you are saying.   The problem is 10yrs later.

Back in 2006 or so where I was living it was either 8mbit ADSL 'max' from BT
Where would be now without that competition back then? Would the 21CN roll out have happened when it did,

It definitely would have happened.  Plans were in place back in 2004 - it was part of Verwayens vision to roll out 21CN. 
You can see from this article in 2005 they had already chosen which equipment they were going to use - linky

Typical BT though, they are always slow to roll out anything new.   

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2018, 02:34:07 PM »

Plans were in place back in 2004 - it was part of Verwayens vision to roll out 21CN.

PS Should clarify - the original vision was 21CN for both PSTN and DSL.     The PSTN plans were ditched after Verwayeen left.     

I don't know the reasoning behind that nor the exact date it was ditched - possibly 2008/2009 - all I can recall is that I had notification from BTwholesale to remove any dates I had about 21CN PSTN from my checker.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2018, 06:26:21 PM »

Again an ill informed and ignorant person asking, but why does fibre roll out require the removal of copper? Its not like the ducts are too full to push fibre through them.
It doesn't require the removal of copper, but why keep it?
Fibre can do everything the copper can. If they are installing the coppers replacement why continue to pay to maintain the older now redundant cabling?

The savings that would be made from not having to maintain the copper network would go a long way to funding the fibre rollout further.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 12:45:57 AM »

21CN for PSTN, was that just tooo scary and would not have made any money? Black sheep will say rightly that their bean counters and planners would have done the numbers, but did they do them again and find it was a no? The disruption and the fear with it. I presume that that or something similar is going to happen anyway around 2025 ? So perhaps if they had done it far earlier they would have started to be saving money on keeping old crap kit going sooner. Is that a correct picture ? Don't know what I am talking about.
Pages: 1 2 [3]