Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Netflix mucking about  (Read 1898 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Netflix mucking about
« on: June 28, 2018, 07:07:13 AM »

The iPad Netflix app that I am using seems to be full of bugs these days. It comes up with stupid errors, just throws away a half-downloaded episode and stops. This morning it decided that it would throw away a sort downloaded episode when you switched away from the app and switched back to it later. The latest is skiving. It decided to do no work while you are not watching it like a hawk. If I have switched away from the app, I can see from traffic logs that it has not been downloading as it should in the meantime. Grrr. At that point, I tried rebooting the machine altogether.

spring

• Reg Member
Re: Netflix mucking about
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 10:03:24 AM »

Maybe it's a new app version? Is it possible to install the older one?
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 10:19:17 AM »

@spring I am not aware of any way to access older versions of apps on the Apple App Store.

I have tried to download one particular episode four times, every time it gets to the end then pauses and just throws the whole episode away having spent twenty minutes or so downloading it. I have tried rebooting the machine of course.

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 10:44:18 AM »

Maybe you have the old files on your device? or version rollback option?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 11:20:59 AM »

Maybe worth manually force closing any and all other Apps, to see if that helps?

Bear in mind that rebooting does not necessarily achieve same effect, iOS tends to reopen same Apps after a reboot.

In theory closing background Apps should not make any difference.  Or at least, if it necessary (eg memory exhausted) iOS should eject them automatically, to provide more resources for the foreground App.   In practice, I often find that when, say, Safari is getting inexplicably sluggish, closing other Apps most certainly does seem to help.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 11:49:50 AM »

I did try to force-quit the Netflix app before I later went on to do an o/s reboot. I did not go round and systematically quit all known apps though. I did not have too many other things running at the time.

It is the large screen iPad Pro v1 so I would imagine it has a lot of RAM by the standards of iPads in general.

I am wondering if I should get Apple in on it. I have a software support contract with them (Apple Care+, I think it is called) and I have used it quite a few times. The problem though is that they might just send me off to Netflix, quite understandably. However, I have an odd feeling about this, and I am wondering if this is the fault of iOS 11.4, not the fault of a Netflix app release.

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 11:51:13 AM »

can you clean reinstall?

edit: is this any useful info?

https://old.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/8n6oyo/netflix_ios_app/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:55:53 AM by spring »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 11:54:07 AM »

Can’t do that as I have a vast amount of downloaded stuff and it would take me a week to download it all again.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 12:19:51 PM »

I did try to force-quit the Netflix app before I later went on to do an o/s reboot. I did not go round and systematically quit all known apps though. I did not have too many other things running at the time.

Even just one thing running can eat a lot of memory, especially if it has a memory leak (bugs in Apps do exist). :)

Other than that, not sure about this but if you have a backup that was taken with the old Netflix App, it might be possible to restore it?  As I say, not sure if that works.  Do your own research.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 12:31:20 PM »

I have got rid of all other apps running, just in case, because as you say, want to rule out memory leaks.

[At work,as well as the term "memory leak", we also used to say "alloc heaven", or even, much less frequently, "bit heaven".]

St3

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 09:46:01 PM »

I have netflix on my 32inch tv for a spare room and the last few months netflix app just stops and says it needs a restart, happens to often i guess it needs patched asap.
Intel i7-7700K @ 4.5G ghz
16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 @ 2133 mhz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Black Edition

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 05:00:57 AM »

Thank god this thing seems fixed now.