Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does crosstalk attenuate other noise?  (Read 3665 times)

konrado5

• Reg Member
Does crosstalk attenuate other noise?
« on: June 27, 2018, 07:32:22 PM »

I've noitced that intermittent noise is more often in HAM band (tones 400-483) than in other bands. I know this is band for amateur radio however as I know nobody in Poland (all the more in my town) use this band for amateur radio.

Furthermore, at one time (at this time I had disabled HAM band) I heared buzzing on AM radio and I had reconnection. I've noticed that most increase on QLN graph is in the tones 400-483. It seems that my circuit is the most susceptible to any wideband noise on these frequiences. I would expect that circuit is the most susceptible to noise on the end ones (483-511) because as I know the higher frequency the worse longitudinal balance.

I suspect it is becasue I am only user on DSLAM with these frequiences unblocked and it results with no crosstalk on these frequiences. On the other frequiences crosstalk attenuates other type of noise. Is it possible?

Best regards
konrado5

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Does crosstalk attenuate other noise?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 08:29:05 PM »

I don't understand your use of the term ‘attenuate’.  ;D ‘Attenuation’ means multiplying by a positive number that is less than 1, so the value is reduced. It is not the same as obscuring or covering up something. As of course you know, crosstalk is always additive, that is it is a special type of noise that is strongly correlated with your own data signal or some other data signal.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 08:30:08 PM »

I don't understand your use of the term ‘attenuate’.  ;D ‘Attenuation’ means multiplying by a positive number that is less than 1, so the value is reduced. It is not the same as obscuring or covering up something. As of course you know, crosstalk is always additive, that is it is a special type of noise that is strongly correlated with your own data signal or some other data signal.
I mean crosstalk reduce other noise.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 10:07:07 PM »

Perhaps a problem, with English Konrado, my friend. :-) But crosstalk cannot reduce other noise. I would need you to explain - help me understand a bit. Your English is superb by the way. My Polish is a source of shame, given that it has now taken second place in ranking amongst the most commonly spoken languages of Scotland.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:50:37 PM by Weaver »

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 10:40:26 PM »

`i would need you to explain - help me understand a bit.
I mean that if my router receive crosstallk then it receives fainter other noise than without crosstalk.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:42:31 PM by konrado5 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 10:54:44 PM »

I would say that the level of other, non-crosstalk, noise received should be the same, be independent of whether you are getting crosstalk or not. What do you think?

I cannot think of a mechanism by which the two could be linked. Others may be able to think of something? Do you have something particular in mind?

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 11:13:55 PM »

I would say that the level of other, non-crosstalk, noise received should be the same, be independent of whether you are getting crosstalk or not. What do you think?
I also think that level of received non-crosstalk noise should be the same when router receive crosstalk. However I have observation indicating it is dependent on received crosstalk. I have described it in the first post of this thread.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:22:37 PM by konrado5 »

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 09:08:59 PM »

@burakkucat What do you think?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 09:36:35 PM »

There is the wanted signal and the unwanted signal(s). For simplicity we refer to the latter as noise.

Cross-talk is, by definition, an unwanted signal. A lawful broadcast transmission is an unwanted signal. The radio-frequency signal emitted by a poorly constructed switching PSU is an unwanted signal. The high-frequency "mush" emitted by an old television set -- one that is faulty -- is an unwanted signal. The cumulative sum of all those unwanted signals is the noise.

I cannot see how any one unwanted signal from one source can be responsible for the decrease in another unwanted signal for another totally unrelated source.

I would say that the level of other, non-crosstalk, noise received should be the same, be independent of whether you are getting crosstalk or not.

I also think that level of received non-crosstalk noise should be the same when router receive crosstalk.

I believe, therefore, that I am agreeing with you both.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 10:00:32 PM »

Quote from: burakkucat
I cannot see how any one unwanted signal from one source can be responsible for the decrease in another unwanted signal for another totally unrelated source.
But my observations indicates this is a case. Look at my two QLN graphs. On first graph (with noise causing buzzin on AM radio) there is noise on end tones. However difference between two graphs is the largest on the 400-483 tones (with very little crosstalk).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 10:36:00 PM »

I will not dispute your observations. However it appears that your interpretation of the observations is lacking.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 11:25:07 PM »

However it appears that your interpretation of the observations is lacking.
I don't understand.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 11:44:10 PM »

You have made certain observations and have shown the evidence.

However your attempted interpretation of the observations cannot be correct.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 01:16:15 AM »

How about QLN being more accurate on tones wihout crosstalk? Perhaps my router see better other type noise on tones with very small crosstalk.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 08:27:13 AM »

As long as the other user(s) are connected, then cross-talk is a constant.  EMI/RFI noise is variable.

You wouldn't normally spot crosstalk on QLN.  Your line is an exception because you are in a truly unique situation whereby you are the only user on your MSAN who is able to use those notched tones.

As others have already said, one type of noise (crosstalk) does not decrease or mask noise from another source (RFI).

If you were not in the unique situation of being the only user who doesn't have the notching applied, then in theory I would anticipate that the QLN would show a peak at those tones during the time of RFI from the buzzing on the radio. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2