Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ADSL on a FTTC cabinet  (Read 5104 times)

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: ADSL on a FTTC cabinet
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 02:18:49 PM »

I didn't mean to concern you, I have no knowledge of the default install, just going off 4x32 = 128 being the max for an AIO cab. I'm sure Black Sheep can offer some actual info.

follydude

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 02:29:01 PM »

No worries. We won't get to 128 thats for sure...

F

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 03:00:49 PM »

The DSLAMs (FTTC cabinets) OpenReach use for FTTC can serve ADSL/2/2+.
They are simply fitted with VDSL2 only line cards.

They chose not to run ADSL from the cabinets for a number of reasons, partly the crosstalk the 2 different technologies would cause each other if they originated from the same location. Commercial reasons also. Allowing ADSL from the cabinet would reduce the number of VDSL2 ports for no extra income.
A big take up would also mean some areas would need 4 or 5 cabinets, rather than 1 or 2.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

follydude

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 03:05:54 PM »

The DSLAMs (FTTC cabinets) OpenReach use for FTTC can serve ADSL/2/2+.
They are simply fitted with VDSL2 only line cards.

They chose not to run ADSL from the cabinets for a number of reasons, partly the crosstalk the 2 different technologies would cause each other if they originated from the same location. Commercial reasons also. Allowing ADSL from the cabinet would reduce the number of VDSL2 ports for no extra income.
A big take up would also mean some areas would need 4 or 5 cabinets, rather than 1 or 2.

Thanks for the info.

F

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 04:59:35 PM »

I didn't mean to concern you, I have no knowledge of the default install, just going off 4x32 = 128 being the max for an AIO cab. I'm sure Black Sheep can offer some actual info.

I can't say for absolute certainty, as this remit falls in the planners laps not field engineers ..... but from day-to-day personal experience, I would say that most Cabs have 96 ports initially available on first install.  :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »

Also, I have no idea how big your village is or how many homes your cabinet serves, but it sounds like it may be remote and serving quite a few. I live in a similar place and the original cabinet in the initial roll out filled up fast, then the larger one they installed filled up in under a year, so its probably wise to keep an eye on the checkers and order early.

Edit: damn it ktz392837, beat me to it
Also are you sure that the cab doesn't serve more than those 44 dwellings, that would benefit from fibre?

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 09:21:09 PM »

Also are you sure that the cab doesn't serve more than those 44 dwellings, that would benefit from fibre?

Sounds an awful lot like a village near me called Wragby they will be on cabinet 34 on the Hemsworth exchange you can see how few properties that passes.

That one serves very few properties just the small village and a few outlying farms which are still out of range of VDSL.

It should go live pretty soon, I’m hoping it reduces crosstalk on cabinet 19.

follydude

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 09:51:53 AM »

Yes, absolutely sure. This was a community funded program, serving a very small village.

F

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2018, 10:58:23 AM »

@Follydude

Regarding something you wrote a while back
>If I had thought it through, ADSL is over ATM, and VDSL is over IP. I assume that FTTC cabinet is IP only?

As you know IP is used across the entire internet. But what you wrote is mixing different communication layers up. When you are using FTCC/VDSL2, over the copper wire from your house to the cab, instead of ATM, which is gone, consigned to history, you use something called PTM. IP is not relevant. So the contrast you were looking for is between ATM and PTM. On the fibre optic link from the cab upstream to the guts of BT, ethernet is used.

follydude

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2018, 01:07:34 PM »

@Follydude

Regarding something you wrote a while back
>If I had thought it through, ADSL is over ATM, and VDSL is over IP. I assume that FTTC cabinet is IP only?

As you know IP is used across the entire internet. But what you wrote is mixing different communication layers up. When you are using FTCC/VDSL2, over the copper wire from your house to the cab, instead of ATM, which is gone, consigned to history, you use something called PTM. IP is not relevant. So the contrast you were looking for is between ATM and PTM. On the fibre optic link from the cab upstream to the guts of BT, ethernet is used.

Thanks for the correction, I engaged my mouth before my brain was in gear.  :)

The real answer to my original question is that the line cards in the cabinet are VDSL.

F
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:26:02 PM by follydude »

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 01:35:26 PM »

When I got a cab, the copper line terminated at the cab ran me on ADSL2+ mode [adsl-only modem]: but, j0hn mentioned in your case that they don't allow ADSL in the cab to prevent crosstalk, and more income.

Line cards are for PTM [required for VDSL].
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:53:16 PM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 02:18:50 PM »

@follydude - hope that was useful and made some sense but apologies if you knew all that already

Oh and by the way, if I haven’t said so already, Welcome!

follydude

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 04:00:57 PM »

Thanks!

I have had so much more help and knowledeable comments here than in a year on the BT forum.... I wish I had found this forum a long time ago.

F
Pages: 1 [2]