Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ADSL on a FTTC cabinet  (Read 5096 times)

follydude

ADSL on a FTTC cabinet
« on: June 25, 2018, 10:42:42 AM »

Hello,

This might seem like a dumb question. My village is moving from a cabinet that is about 4Km away to a new local FTTC cabinet.

When this goes live we will be able to upgrade to VDSL2 (Infinity), but my question is:

Does the new cabinet also provide ADSL services, or will customers that do not choose to upgrade still be served by the exchange, and get the same speeds as they always had.

More simply, do FTTC cabinets only provide VDSL?

Regards

FollyDude

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: ADSL on a FTTC cabinet
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 11:33:19 AM »

Hello,

This might seem like a dumb question. My village is moving from a cabinet that is about 4Km away to a new local FTTC cabinet.

When this goes live we will be able to upgrade to VDSL2 (Infinity), but my question is:

Does the new cabinet also provide ADSL services, or will customers that do not choose to upgrade still be served by the exchange, and get the same speeds as they always had.

More simply, do FTTC cabinets only provide VDSL?

Regards

FollyDude

Yes ..... FTTC Cabs simply provide VDSL Broadband. The existing ADSL customers (Broadband from the Tel Exchange), will still be connected through the same new Cabinet, but will in laymans terms just be connected straight in and straight back out of the Cab again.

New VDSL customers are connected straight in, then we add additional wiring to connect the VDSL broadband before it goes straight back out of the Cab.

Hope this makes sense.  :)

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 12:07:09 PM »

Do you know how far away the new cabinet will be from you?

If its anything under a km its probably well worth the extra money upgrading to a FTTC connection compared to a 4km ADSL2+ service.

follydude

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 01:11:09 PM »

Thanks Black Sheep. Yes that makes sense.

If I had thought it through, ADSL is over ATM, and VDSL is over IP. I assume that FTTC cabinet is IP only?

Cheers

FollyDude

follydude

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 01:13:47 PM »

Yes, most properties in the village will be under 1Km, a few will be up to 1.5Km, but they are only getting around 2Mbps now on ADSL. So I think they will still benefit.

FollyDude

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 01:27:13 PM »

If I had thought it through, ADSL is over ATM, and VDSL is over IP. I assume that FTTC cabinet is IP only?

ADSL can be PPPoA or PPPoE and FTTC is either PPPoE or IPoE here.

Its more that the line cards for the FTTC connection are in the cabinet, where as the ADSL ones are at the exchange.

Edit: stupidity
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:34:03 PM by johnson »

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 01:33:11 PM »

If your modem can only do ADSL you don't have to change it to continue using ADSL, if that's the reason you asked. At least, ATM still worked until I replaced my ADSL-only modem with my current one, called an engineer and he changed it to PTM at the cab.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:35:26 PM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

follydude

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 01:39:17 PM »

If your modem can only do ADSL you don't have to change it to continue using ADSL, if that's the reason you asked. At least, ATM still worked until I replaced my ADSL-only modem with my current one, called an engineer and he changed it to PTM at the cab.

No, the reason for asking, was to find out if existing ADSL customers would benefit at all from the cabinet if they don't upgrade, and the answer is they will not benefit.

F

follydude

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 01:41:12 PM »

ADSL can be PPPoA or PPPoE and FTTC is either PPPoE or IPoE here.

Its more that the line cards for the FTTC connection are in the cabinet, where as the ADSL ones are at the exchange.

Edit: stupidity

Got it. Thanks

FollyDude

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 01:42:12 PM »

Yes, they would because it would shorten the line. However practical benefit is a different story.
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 01:46:39 PM »

This might seem like a dumb question. My village is moving from a cabinet that is about 4Km away to a new local FTTC cabinet.  When this goes live we will be able to upgrade to VDSL2....
Remember if there is a limited number of FTTC ports compared to number of properties make sure you order quickly or you run the risk of still being stuck on ADSL if FTTC is filled up.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 01:49:11 PM »

Also, I have no idea how big your village is or how many homes your cabinet serves, but it sounds like it may be remote and serving quite a few. I live in a similar place and the original cabinet in the initial roll out filled up fast, then the larger one they installed filled up in under a year, so its probably wise to keep an eye on the checkers and order early.

Edit: damn it ktz392837, beat me to it
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:53:37 PM by johnson »

follydude

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 01:55:13 PM »

Remember if there is a limited number of FTTC ports compared to number of properties make sure you order quickly or you run the risk of still being stuck on ADSL if FTTC is filled up.

Thanks.

There are about 44 properties in the village and there is a Huawei AIO cabinet installed.

F

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 02:03:24 PM »

Given:
https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm#fttc_cabinet_capacity

I guess with a single 32 port line card on an AIO there still could be unhappy people, but that assumes an unlikely uptake given 44 premises.

follydude

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 02:14:51 PM »

Given:
https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm#fttc_cabinet_capacity

I guess with a single 32 port line card on an AIO there still could be unhappy people, but that assumes an unlikely uptake given 44 premises.

Would a single line card be the default for a new cabinet install? We should get a good take up, maybe more than 32. Dare I ask how long it takes to get a second line card?  :-[

F
Pages: [1] 2