Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Openreach Name Next 59 UK Areas for G.fast Ultrafast Broadband  (Read 7410 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Openreach Name Next 59 UK Areas for G.fast Ultrafast Broadband
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 10:39:45 PM »

Who care about rubbish g.fast? Also rip off far too expensive. I am happy stay with FTTC 80/20 for next five more years.

... and just hope it doesn't do what mine has.   Which is take yet another massive hit due to cross talk - over 7Mbps in one fell swoop due to neighbour getting vdsl a few days ago.    I'm now syncing below my MGAL and thats a total headline loss so far of 42Mbps from x-talk.  :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 10:41:56 PM »

Nice if you can get 80/20, but if not it makes the g.fast roll out even more of a farce.

Indeed.   There's a heck of a lot of people who won't be able to get g.fast even if it was at the cab.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 11:01:49 PM »

Ouch! That is a fair amount of speed drop over the years Kitz. Painful!!

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 11:33:14 PM »

:no: Sorry to hear of your VDSL drop Kitz. Mine was still ongoing strong still at full max 80/20 for 145 days since DLM reset last February 1st by PN.

Code: [Select]
145 Day(s) 09:17:33

Mode VDSL2
Traffic Type PTM
Status Up
Link Power State L0
Downstream Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis) On On
SNR Margin (dB) 5.9 13.7
Attenuation (dB) 11.3 0.0
Output Power (dBm) 12.4 -1.3
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 80541 25031
Rate (Kbps) 79999 19999
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame) 235 237
M (# of Mux Data Frames in an RS codeword) 1 1
T (# of Mux Data Frames in an OH sub-frame) 0 42
R (# of redundancy bytes in the RS codeword) 10 16
S (# of data symbols over which the RS code word spans) 0.0939 0.3781
L (# of bits transmitted in each data symbol) 20962 5374
D (interleaver depth) 8 1
I (interleaver block size in bytes) 246 127
N (RS codeword size) 246 254
Delay (msec) 0 0
INP (DMT symbol) 48.00 0.00

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 08:40:05 AM »

Indeed.   My line isn't looking very happy since my new neighbour got FTTC on the 22nd.  Upstream SNRM has taken a big hit too

DLM would have got me for sure a couple of days ago (23 Jun) if I didn't have DSLstats alerts.  CRCs went mental and I clocked up circa 480 Err/Secs in about 15 mins before I took the connection down otherwise my sync speed would now be even worse. SNRM looks like saw teeth.
-----

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 08:47:26 AM »

Interesting!
Is there any way to resolve such a speed drop or is it just a case of tough luck?
Intrigued about the saw tooth explanation on your SNR. I noticed mine was like that yesterday but only on the upstream. It wasnt moving by much but by 0.2db up and down every few minutes.

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 08:55:34 AM »

you can post/pm me that but I think it's how the first 3 days are ::) if after 7 days it still continued then you turn it off from button & let it sit for 31 minutes. about the SRA if it's not supported it's detrimental to be enabled as I've said before. if your sync speed didn't change, it can mean lack of support [has to change to indicate that the DSLAM supports it]. if it did, there's still this thread: http://whrl.pl/Reo43y  so what I want to say is enable it only if your ISP stated to support it. so, next time you turn off the device, if you want to change the setting you can unplug the dsl cable and turn it on to change, then back off & plug the dsl cable back.

edit: I think your line should support it, by this thread; http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/3817320-seamless-rate-adaptation-sra-on-bt-wbc.html
over time you'll note if your sync rate ever varied or it stayed the same and then decide, no hurry.

edit2: also something that looks like sra but isn't... https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,7306.msg156554.html#msg156554
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:11:55 AM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 08:59:00 AM »

... and just hope it doesn't do what mine has.   Which is take yet another massive hit due to cross talk - over 7Mbps in one fell swoop due to neighbour getting vdsl a few days ago.    I'm now syncing below my MGAL and thats a total headline loss so far of 42Mbps from x-talk.  :'(

Hopefully your line should benefit significantly from vectoring when (if?) its rolled out nationwide.

Is there any reason its still only in BDUK areas? Is there extra equipment needed in the cabs like a vectoring controller or some such?

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 09:02:46 AM »

Mine bit slightly different. When the downstream SNR are lower, the Attainable Rate (Kbps) will reduced, not increased. Before SNR on Attainable Rate (Kbps) downstream was 9.9dB @ 89238K but now SNR on Attainable Rate (Kbps) downstream was 5.9dB @ 80534K. Because I thought reduced SNR mean higher Attainable Rate (Kbps) but I was wrong. I guess one more new customer go live with VDSL will reduced my sync rate of below 79999k sooner or later for the first time since the fibre cabinet went first live back in February 2014. Just over 4 years now.

1st Feb 2018:
Downstream   Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):     11.3      0.0
Signal attenuation (dB):   Not available on VDSL2
Attenuation rate (kbps):   89238      30218
Connection speed (kbps):   79999      19999
SNR margin (dB):           9.9      15.1
Power (dBm):               12.5      -0.9
Interleave depth:          8      1
INP:                       48.00      0
G.INP:                     Enabled      Not Enabled

Now as of today:
Downstream   Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):     11.3      0.0
Signal attenuation (dB):   Not available on VDSL2
Attenuation rate (kbps):   80534      24959
Connection speed (kbps):   79999      19999
SNR margin (dB):           5.9      13.7
Power (dBm):               12.4      -1.3
Interleave depth:          8      1
INP:                       48.00      0
G.INP:                     Enabled      Not Enabled
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:13:44 AM by adslmax »

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 09:13:02 AM »

lower SNRM can indicate a lower target margin but the thing is the modem displays SNRM not SNR so need to look for signs whether it was an SNR change or target change

or you synced at that speed with 9db target , as you know the attainable calculation is sketchy

i assume the SNRM is indicative of how much is reserved so given your very low attenuation [11db] i suppose you were able to sync at that speed with 9db target

edit: so higher target margin is better, if someone can cap his connection at it: so, if your target was indeed 9db and reduced to 6db that could indeed mean your line fared worse [less SNR] & needed 6db to maintain the sync speed.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:26:34 AM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2018, 09:18:09 AM »

Hopefully your line should benefit significantly from vectoring when (if?) its rolled out nationwide.

Is there any reason its still only in BDUK areas? Is there extra equipment needed in the cabs like a vectoring controller or some such?

I thought Openreach are suppose to be trailing vectoring / target SRM 3dB in most case? My parents line got 3.1dB (must be target 3dB to increase their sync rate jump from 58633K to 64589K)

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2018, 09:18:38 AM »

you can post/pm me that but I think it's how the first 3 days are ::) if after 7 days it still continued then you turn it off from button & let it sit for 31 minutes. about the SRA if it's not supported it's detrimental to be enabled as I've said before. if your sync speed didn't change, it can mean lack of support [has to change to indicate that the DSLAM supports it]. if it did, there's still this thread: http://whrl.pl/Reo43y  so what I want to say is enable it only if your ISP stated to support it. so, next time you turn off the device, if you want to change the setting you can unplug the dsl cable and turn it on to change, then back off & plug the dsl cable back.

edit: I think your line should support it, by this thread; http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/3817320-seamless-rate-adaptation-sra-on-bt-wbc.html
over time you'll note if your sync rate ever varied or it stayed the same and then decide, no hurry.

edit2: also something that looks like sra but isn't... https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,7306.msg156554.html#msg156554

Hi Spring, I've left it disabled. My line needs stability for now with my old modem hanging up so I'll leave it disabled unless I discover something that states it works on Zen FTTC.

Best not to clutter up this original thread but we can discuss anything on my thread here  ;D:

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21683.0.html

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2018, 09:50:25 AM »

No hope for me on an ECI cab.   No vectoring. No SRA. No G.INP  :'(

Both the periodic oscillations and the daily high spike of CRCs is a long-standing issue that can occur anytime between 7am to mid-day.
Every so often the CRCs will get stuck & Err Secs will rack up a few hundred every 5 mins until I power down the modem.    Turning off the modem for a period of time doesn't always clear the oscillations - I switched it off for a couple of hours yesterday.     If I didn't have DSLstats alarms set and was with an ISP that didn't use Speed profile, I would be constantly within the grip of DLM and INP because I don't even have the availability of G.INP. 
-----

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2018, 10:02:44 AM »

Its a wonder people haven't resorted to arson with these ECI cabs....

Are you still using a zyxel modem kitz? No better luck with a lantiq box?

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2018, 10:02:59 AM »

No hope for me on an ECI cab.   No vectoring. No SRA. No G.INP  :'(

Any chance of virgin media cable to switch over? As I know Cable doesn't have any restricted eg: no DLM at all. But, don't know what VM are like in your area such as congestion network?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything