Announcements > News Articles

Openreach Name Next 59 UK Areas for G.fast Ultrafast Broadband

(1/9) > >>

Bowdon:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/06/openreach-reveal-next-uk-areas-for-g-fast-ultrafast-broadband.html

--- Quote ---Openreach (BT) has announced that a further 59 locations across the United Kingdom will be the next to benefit from their on-going deployment of 330Mbps capable hybrid fibre G.fast (ITU G.9700/9701) broadband technology, which aim to cover 10 million homes and businesses by the end of 2020.

Until today the operator had only confirmed a total of 46 locations for the new service, which largely reflected the coverage of their initial large-scale G.fast pilot that now reaches more than 1 million premises passed. Since then several ISPs have launched related packages, although BT and TalkTalk remain the only major providers with a G.fast service on offer (e.g. BT Ultrafast and TalkTalk Faster 150 Fibre).

In case anybody has forgotten, G.fast works in a similar way to VDSL2 based Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC) technology by running a fibre optic cable to your local PCP Street Cabinet, which is then fitted with an extension “pod” to house the line cards (this can handle up to 48 ports, but it should eventually extend to 96). After that the G.fast service reaches your home via the existing copper cable.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---    The 59 New G.fast Locations (June 2018 Update)

Aberdeen Denburn, Acocks Green, Altrincham, Aylesbury, Bedford, Birmingham Central, Bishops Stortford, Boscombe, Bowes Park, Bury St. Edmunds, Bury, Byfleet, Cardiff, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Chester, Cosham, Didsbury, Erdington, Gipsy Hill, Guildford, Hampton, Harlow, Harrogate, Headingley, Heywood, Kingston, Lancaster, Leamington Spa, Leeds, Llantrisant, Maidstone, Market Harborough, Mile End, Morley, Narborough, North Finchley, Paignton, Plymouth, Rugby, Shipley, Slough, South Kensington, Southampton, Southend Town, St Albans, Stockton Heath, Swadlincote, Tamworth, Taunton, Telford Wellington, Tunbridge Wells, Walthamstow, Weston Super Mare, Windsor, Wolverhampton, Woodhouse (Berkshire), Woodley, York.
--- End quote ---

Maybe I'm under estimating the amount of work that needs to be done, but I thought G.fast deployment would have been a lot faster than this, especially when they are only attaching pods to existing cabinets. I thought it would just be a process of going to all the cabs and adding the pod on?

And why is York getting G.fast so early on when they already have FTTP?

j0hn:
OpenReach actively target areas with good competitor coverage. York FTTP is Talktalks, not OpenReach's.

It is just a case of bolting on a pod at the cabinet. Activation can be delayed waiting for exchange Harrisburg being upgraded.

There are thousands of pods to install though. This is while OpenReach are also deploying FTTP in other areas, their FTTPod orders and there's still some FTTC being deployed. Throughout all these new deployments they still have to maintain the existing network.

The aim is 10 million homes and businesses by 2020. They are on target to meet this.

flood:
My cab's had a G.Fast pod for months but still not activated on my line. Openreach are taking their sweet time to allow orders  ::)

Deathstar:
Not in my area, and I would suspect I'd be over or borderline for the 500m range.

So hopefully, they may go full FTTP, or FTTDp......

Ixel:
Same here, my town isn't listed and there are perhaps two or three areas in the town (one about two streets away from me) which are already FTTP. I'm hopeful this means while I will have to wait a bit longer that I could be in a queue for FTTP later on. Even if G.fast arrived here I doubt I would be able to get it as I may well be just outside of the range.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version