Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Better looking glass  (Read 2017 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Better looking glass
« on: June 24, 2018, 03:06:46 PM »

Could anyone tell me if there is a friendly tool that will tell me given a particular AS which other AS's it is connected to and how, or perhaps show me even a larger map? Something that will give a view of BGP in a friendly fashion. I have seen very unreadable output from various looking glasses.

spring

• Reg Member
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 04:11:20 PM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Better looking glass
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 04:15:53 PM »

Nice Spring, thanks!

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 04:38:34 PM »

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:22:09 PM by spring »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 05:46:19 PM »

Can't seem to get the asnmap or uniroma3.it web apps to work at all in Safari / iOs, and no, I don't have another machine.

The ripe app is stunning. It is a pain if the segmentation of the planet means that a lot of these good tools databases and so forth are not universal, seamless, joined up. We need a pact between these organisations to harmonise everything and share all the tools, if there is not one already. One outfit volunteers to develop a tool, maybe in partnership, but then they all give everyone access to it regardless of geographic segment data set.

as2914 is gorgeous, sci-fi stuff, not sure what use it is?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:52:48 PM by Weaver »

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 06:21:45 PM »

I think no use for as2914, but that kind of map can be generated with downloadable tools (https://umbrella.cisco.com/blog/2014/12/11/macro-view-asn-part-1/)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:25:25 PM by spring »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 07:02:44 PM »

With the asnmap site, I see what you see when I go to the by-IP-address pages. But the actual map of interconnected ASs page is really weird. There are two enormous panels, like columns that divide the screen into three thirds with a gap in the middle in which you can see a bit of the map but the stupid enormous panels cover most of it up so you can't see it. The right-hand panel is translucent, intermediate opacity, so you can faintly see the map showing through behind it. There is a go-away X icon on that right hand panel, a fairly poor low-few icon but nothing happens when I click on it to try and get rid of the thing. So all in all the map itself is pretty unusable. Also there are no labels on the few nodes that I can see in the graph.

I am not sure if this is all a Safari/iOS thing. I can’t pinch to zoom it either. So not good. I don't think they know the iPad exists - anyway they can’t have tested it with an iPad surely. Also I suspect that Safari/iOS is not doing a good job to help me out here either.

[The W3C needs to get standards for keyboardless mouseless browsers sorted out and work with the browser manufacturers to ensure that websites just work and what is more they need to just work without site redesigns being needed.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 09:38:21 AM »

Now this Hurricane Electric website really is the business, with lots of excellent tanked shf some pretty pictures too. It really helps you to understand what is what, although it is BGP relationships, not physical interconnections that are being shown.